• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: In Pursuit of the Angels of Dystopia

Share/Bookmark

In Pursuit of the Angels of Dystopia

Hello all,

After experimenting around with dramatically detuning some of the Garritan instruments in KP2 (which has got to be some sort of sacrilege, I know) I decided to throw some notes in around the bizarre-but-cool-sounding "special effects" I came across.

This is 100% Garritan stuff, but slightly (as in totally) desecrated in some cases. Just a couple of examples:

- The high, "tinkle-y" stuff is mainly the JABB electric guitar detuned way up

- The low, pulsating, huge, glowing electrical coils in Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory on a stormy night sound almost 3 minutes in is the GPO bass flute detuned way down (with a little bit of "wah" effect)

-most of the strange undercurrent sounds are from CMB percussion detuned way down

This is: In Pursuit of the Angels of Dystopia (an other-worldly type of thing)

http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/AngelsofDystopia.mp3

Thanks for listening! (Even if you don't make it all the way through! )

Danny

Re: In Pursuit of the Angels of Dystopia

Danny

WOW!!!

When I 1st got GPO, I tried playing around as you have done here. I saw the many possibilities, but always being under time constraints, I chose not to investigate further. I am glad you decided to take the plunge and do a little bit of sacriligious work here.

I am on my 4th listen now and am totally engrossed in this one. "Just throwing in some notes", though is an understatement. The piece itself is much more than just a few effects. The piece has a great flow to it and is a pleasure in and of itself. But then, what else would we expect from you?

Some pieces that I compose are more fun than others. Although, they are all fun to do, I have more fun composing some as compared to others. This one sounds as if you had a ball doing it. After it first started to come together, you must of had a huge smile on your face. This shows in the music and the piece put a large smile on my face as well.

Outstanding work!!

Ron

Wow! is right. Not only did I make it all the way through, every bit of it was really worth listening to. I'm still trying to make my sounds "play nice together" and making my way between the manuals and tutorials, now you have to go and do this. Seriously, this is very cool. Made me imagine it as a transitional soundtrack type of music, and I could easily hear this in a film. Great job on this one! I did think a couple times there were some horn sounds that could have been more "exotic" sounding and less recognisable, but that's a very small quibble. Thanks for sharing this! John

Thumbs up Re: In Pursuit of the Angels of Dystopia

Danny Williams (aka DW for Daunting Writer

You've done it now, as how in the world are you ever going to top, no, even match, this again? Praise wise, Ron & John have pretty well covered it. All I can add is that I'm sure glad that I know you and have even talked with you. As Hawkeye on MASH said in one episode, "Gentlemen, we are in the presence of greatness!"

Steve

How innovative and creative, Mr. Danny! Long live "sacrilege"!

I listened to all six minutes and twenty-seven seconds of it and like this work very much. It's not I - IV - V - I, for sure.

Thanks for allowing us to hear your fine music.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I agree with all the others. Very creative use of GPO et al. Also nicely rendered.

Not only did I not have any difficulty listening all the way through, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't longer. I'll probably give it a listen again tomorrow.

Good job!
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Very cool, Danny!

You did what I always do, experimet with the samples and sounds!

I like your piece! Well done!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

What a great piece of music!

Very thoughtful and innovative and many ideas explored here.

A terrific job, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Danny

WOW!!!

When I 1st got GPO, I tried playing around as you have done here. I saw the many possibilities, but always being under time constraints, I chose not to investigate further. I am glad you decided to take the plunge and do a little bit of sacriligious work here.

I am on my 4th listen now and am totally engrossed in this one. "Just throwing in some notes", though is an understatement. The piece itself is much more than just a few effects. The piece has a great flow to it and is a pleasure in and of itself. But then, what else would we expect from you?

Some pieces that I compose are more fun than others. Although, they are all fun to do, I have more fun composing some as compared to others. This one sounds as if you had a ball doing it. After it first started to come together, you must of had a huge smile on your face. This shows in the music and the piece put a large smile on my face as well.

Outstanding work!!

Ron
    Thanks, Ron! You're right, this was pretty much of a kick to do. I did, though, sometimes have to let it just sit for awhile until it "called" to me again.
    Your review of this is much appreciated, as I have quickly come to respect your opinion and insights.

Danny
    Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Danny Williams (aka DW for Daunting Writer

You've done it now, as how in the world are you ever going to top, no, even match, this again? Praise wise, Ron & John have pretty well covered it. All I can add is that I'm sure glad that I know you and have even talked with you. As Hawkeye on MASH said in one episode, "Gentlemen, we are in the presence of greatness!"

Steve
    Steve,

OK, so how many of those post-dinner drinks did you down before you wrote this????

Seriously... that's some pretty lavish praise, man! I do appreciate it... especially from someone with the caliber of background and chops that you possess.

Thanks, my friend!

Danny

P.S. Patience pays off! (even with the UPS)

A very impressive composition, Danny!
    One feels the power of the elements moving throughout the piece, pushing, moving, appearing, disappearing, in various ways.
    You know what you want to express, boldly or gently as needed, and you do it without restraint.
    I can only express my admiration for such an achievement!

Yudit

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast