• Register
  • Help

Topic: Searching for a sample (piano effect)

Share/Bookmark

Searching for a sample (piano effect)

Dear friends,

I have need of a satisfying "ziiinnnnggg" sound--with decent fidelity--achieved by gliding the fingernail with moderate force across the upper midrange of a piano harp with dampers raised.

I don't have easy access to a real piano--otherwise would just record it myself. Don't feel like lugging hardware around for such a trivial recording project :>). Also don't feel like spending hours with a synth trying to emulate the sound from memory using physical string models, with crappy result.

My internet searches have not been successful, and I don't know if there is a special term or notation for this effect in the literature.

Many thanks in advance for pointers to sources!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Bob
    behind the scenes at:
    http://myspace.com/paquachuck

Re: Searching for a sample (piano effect)

This might fall under the catagory of "prepared piano" - but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Rob

Many thanks for your attention! Somebody has contacted me and very likely has exactly what I need. End of search.
    Bob
    behind the scenes at:

Break out a recorder and find a church or stage piano and go for it. When I cannot find a sound, that is my last resort.

Good to hear someone is going to help you out on that.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Quote Originally Posted by WaldoB View Post
    Dear friends,

I have need of a satisfying "ziiinnnnggg" sound--with decent fidelity--achieved by gliding the fingernail with moderate force across the upper midrange of a piano harp with dampers raised.

I don't have easy access to a real piano--otherwise would just record it myself. Don't feel like lugging hardware around for such a trivial recording project :>). Also don't feel like spending hours with a synth trying to emulate the sound from memory using physical string models, with crappy result.

My internet searches have not been successful, and I don't know if there is a special term or notation for this effect in the literature.

Many thanks in advance for pointers to sources!

Cheers,
    Bob
    Don't know who you've heard from, but PM pingu if it's not him already. He recorded some of these effects and programmed them for Kontakt.

Yes, I was in contact with Pingu and quickly found the desired sample.

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    Don't know who you've heard from, but PM pingu if it's not him already. He recorded some of these effects and programmed them for Kontakt.
    Bob
    behind the scenes at:

Go Back to forum