• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chord recognition

Share/Bookmark

Chord recognition

Is there a program out there that lets me hold down X number of keys on my MIDI keyboard, after which the program interprets the keys I'm holding and then tells me which (if any) chord, the keys make up?

Example:
    If I hold down C, E and G, the program responds "C major"
    If I hold down D, F, A and C instead, the program responds "D minor7".
    etc.

I'm new to orchestral music and am currently studying note sheets for learning purposes, for example the note sheet for Holst's "Venus, the Bringer of Peace". But it's a nightmare trying to figure out which chords are played in a piece of music. Right now I'm trying to look up each chord in "The Keyboardist's Picture Chord Encyclopedia"!

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Henrik

Re: Chord recognition

I do know that Logic does that for you, to a point, when you are inputting MIDI info. You are much better off just sticking it out and learning the chords and voicings etc. You will learn so much more when you start to study scores.

Keep at it! It will pay off!

Peace

Rikp

Ah! Cubase 4 has a GREAT chord recognition function (in the Key Editor). You place the cursor over any number of simultaniously playing notes, after which Cubase tells you which chord they make up.

That's what I need! Then I can input the notes from the score I'm studying into Cubase, place the cursor over them, and voila, I'm told which chord it is! Plus, I can hear the chord at the same time too.

Thanks for the tip!

Best regards,
    Henrik

Careful here.. Most music is filled with tones that are not necessarily part of the harmony as written and fulfill simple melodic functions.. cubase won't be able to differentiate between non-harmonic tones and harmonic tones so you may end up getting more complicated chords than are actually there.

As well, certain harmonies like the german sixth and dominant 7th are made up of exactly the same intervals, and sound exactly the same by themselves, the only way to tell the difference is how they resolve and what scale degree they take place on, which is more than cubase can figure out by simply selecting the notes.

Cubase 4 does a great job but you're right that it can't always differentiate between some chords; also not all of the notes in a chord need to be present. Its quite common to play a major ninth omitting the third or the fifth, especially on instruments like the guitar where its not physically possible to play all the notes; you have to learn the chords I'm afraid

EDIT Cubase is also Real Expensive.
    Last edited by buckshead; 05-24-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: second thoughts

Ok, I can see it is not so simple after all.

buckshead, I already own Cubase 4, that's why I got so eager before.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Cubase 4 does a great job but you're right that it can't always differentiate between some chords; also not all of the notes in a chord need to be present. Its quite common to play a major ninth omitting the third or the fifth, especially on instruments like the guitar where its not physically possible to play all the notes; you have to learn the chords I'm afraid

EDIT Cubase is also Real Expensive.
    But one can crossgrade at 1/2 price from other sequencer. Theis still on i would think.

Go Back to forum