• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone know how to filter out program change info?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone know how to filter out program change info?

So, my old problem is back.

Micro Express MIDI Interface parallel > my WinXP Pro SP2 DAW

Keyboard > interface input

Interface outputs > various hw synths

All works well, excpet for this problem that pops up once in a while. Cubase simply receives program change info from somewhere.

Disconnect all of the external synths, disconnect the keybaord from the interface, leaving as the only connection the interface parallel port > the DAW. Swap the cable, uninstall/re-install the interface, trash the Cubase prefs, uninstall/reinstall Cubase, unplug every USB device - mouse, keyboard (replace withe PS2 mouse and kbd), iLok key, external HD, etc. - leaving only the SB dongle, but the problem still exists. The reason I know it's PC info, is because if I put a MIDI track into record, the data it records is PC. Now, in the Cubase prefs, there is a MIDI filter section where I can filter PC info both thru and record, but it only filters while the transport is in record; not when I am stopped. So, if I uncheck the PC options, record, the PC info is on the MIDI track. Stop, check those filters, record again, the PC is NOT there. But again, I can only seem to filter the PC info while in record.

The interface is more than a few years old, but the last time I had this problem, it develpoped all of a sudden out of nowhere. I wound having to format my HD (for another reason), and the problem then went away. That was two years ago. I just formatted again, and now the problem has returned. So, if everything was working flawlessly for two years, I have to rule out a problem with the interface.

The interface is on IRQ 19, which it shares with one of my two USB controllers. The other USB controller is on IRQ 18, and the SB dongle is on 18, therefore there is no conflict there. And with all other USB devices unplugged, there should be no conflict there either.

Anyone have any ideas here? And can I in fact filter PC info?
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Anyone know how to filter out program change info?

I'm not familiar with Cubase, but is there a Global MIDI filter somewhere in the settings that would allow you to filter them out?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

You could also use a filter within MIDI-OX to take care of that.

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post
    I'm not familiar with Cubase, but is there a Global MIDI filter somewhere in the settings that would allow you to filter them out?
    Yes, as I mentioned I have that set.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    You could also use a filter within MIDI-OX to take care of that.
    Actually trying that now, but it appears that the filter only works the way Cubase does - it filters while recording. Unless i am missing something - I have to do some more investigating.

Are you saying that Cubase is generating random program changes, or that your interface is ? Do you know where the signal starts ?

Does your soundcard have a midi port, lots do?

if you disconnect the interface can you still record midi ? If yes do you still get unwanted programme change info when you record?

is the unwanted PC always the same or random ?

Go Back to forum