• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GVI Install & XP SP3 - not so much...

Share/Bookmark

GVI Install & XP SP3 - not so much...

Anyone else running into this problem?

I'm attempting to install GVI 3 from scratch on a new laptop running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3.

It fails immediately every time with the following dialog box:

Installation Terminated. This software requires Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (Version: 5.1.2600).

I guess the software is wonderfully programmed to look for XP verisons that are exactly equal to the requirement not greater than or equal.

This happens with installers from 3.51 through the current 3.64

Anybody have a workaround for this, other than downversioning Windows back to SP2?

Re: GVI Install & XP SP3 - not so much...

I would say with a program that is as deeply integrated to the kernel as GS is, they made it SP2 required for a reason, and since they have moved on to GS4 and arent supporting it with new code, there would be too much specific code changes required in a major windows service pack. I'm going to guess to say that if you want to work with GS3 you will need to rollback to SP2
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Yeah - I was about to do that this morning...

BTW this is GVI not GS3. Meaning (as far as I know) GVI4, while announced, is not out yet. I checked, as my first thought was to simply upgrade to GVI4 and save the hassle.

As to your point, no offense, but I'm going to guess it's simply poor coding on Tascam's part. XP3 SP3 was minor according to Microsoft - tweaks and fixes but nothing significant down to the kernal level.

We've seen this type of thing many times before. E.g. try dragging a 4 gig file to an empty 8 gig USB key - "Destination disk is full" error message. Heck, I even remember some programs back in the Windows 3.1 days that woudn't install if you had TOO MUCH memory. Some deveopers hadn't stored the system memory value in a datatype capable of holding the larger number (e.g. 1024 meg truncated to 024 meg).

Probably TMI - sorry - long way of saying thanks for the response! But I think you're giving the GVI developers too much credit. I'm betting I can rollback to XP SP2, install GVI, upgrade to SP3, and work happily ever after.

Thank goodness I never even considered Vista

========
    UPDATE
    ========

Successfully uninstalled XP SP3, installed GVI3 without actually running it (or anything else), then reinstalled XP SP3, rebooted a bunch of times, and GVI3 seems to be working fine (but this is GIGA so something's bound to happen soon).

The only hiccups being:
    - dire warnings from XP during the uninstall that none of my hardware would function after the downgrade.
    - my mouse and remote keyboard died, though a cheery warning from XP told me they'd function after rebooting. After figuring out how to reboot using only the laptop keyboard (since I couldn't just click on reboot), the mouse and laptop pointing device returned as promised.
    - the nVidia graphics driver uninstalled itself, and the graphics hardware was unrecognized. After re-installing the drivers, all went well.

Of course if you're not a MORON like I am, you'll not only install the basic version of the program, but all of the UPDATES as well (i.e. the 3.64 patch), BEFORE re-installing SP3...

When the frak is GVI4 coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by snowgod View Post
    ========
    UPDATE
    ========

Successfully uninstalled XP SP3, installed GVI3 without actually running it (or anything else), then reinstalled XP SP3, rebooted a bunch of times, and GVI3 seems to be working fine (but this is GIGA so something's bound to happen soon).

The only hiccups being:
    - dire warnings from XP during the uninstall that none of my hardware would function after the downgrade.
    - my mouse and remote keyboard died, though a cheery warning from XP told me they'd function after rebooting. After figuring out how to reboot using only the laptop keyboard (since I couldn't just click on reboot), the mouse and laptop pointing device returned as promised.
    - the nVidia graphics driver uninstalled itself, and the graphics hardware was unrecognized. After re-installing the drivers, all went well.

Of course if you're not a MORON like I am, you'll not only install the basic version of the program, but all of the UPDATES as well (i.e. the 3.64 patch), BEFORE re-installing SP3...

When the frak is GVI4 coming out?
    I have the same problem with GVI installs. I just left them off since I figure uninstalling SP3 would be more of a hassle.

Why is this inclusive only to GVI installers? This is an issue that's need to be addressed by developers.

Just another reason to despise virtual instruments over libraries.

Microsoft just released a new version of their install. Maybe that will help.

I also noticed all those bundled GVIs will not uninstall.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    Microsoft just released a new version of their install. Maybe that will help.

I also noticed all those bundled GVIs will not uninstall.
    Meh? Your programs menu under windows start should have a "wavelore" sub-menu, and that should contain an uninstaller for Wavelore Free Giga4...not sure if other dev's have similar structures, but the point is that you should get a sub-menu for each bundled GVI, which should contain a working un-installer.

HTH,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin View Post
    Meh? Your programs menu under windows start should have a "wavelore" sub-menu, and that should contain an uninstaller for Wavelore Free Giga4...not sure if other dev's have similar structures, but the point is that you should get a sub-menu for each bundled GVI, which should contain a working un-installer.

HTH,

Belbin
    Yeah but they don't work. It says "Can't find Install Log".

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    Yeah but they don't work. It says "Can't find Install Log".
    Wowsers.

Try looking in: yourdisc:\\program files\tascam\instruments\e.g.Wavelore Free Giga4\Install

Is it there? Either way, there's a problem. If it's there, then the uninstaller has a problem. If it's not, then the installer has a problem (not writing the install.log).

Can you p.m. me more details on this please? I'll also bring Tascam's attention to this thread.

Belbin

p.s. Even though Tascam has a reputation for bad support, you (anyone with problems) should still try e-mailing your issues and specs to them. Giga4's code is developing parallel with the coming GVI4, so the're no time like the present to try and get a fix. They don't have anyone reading this board regularly, so an e-mail is worth a thousand posts.

Quote Originally Posted by belbin View Post

Is it there? Either way, there's a problem. If it's there, then the uninstaller has a problem. If it's not, then the installer has a problem (not writing the install.log).
    The install.log is in there. It's the uninstaller. All the bundled GVIs exhibit the same thing.I have emailed Tascam about the issues with GVI installers since they won't work in Service Pack 3.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast