• Register
  • Help

Topic: MXR Phase 100 and Tony Banks

Share/Bookmark

MXR Phase 100 and Tony Banks

Hi folks

I've finally got round to forming a Genesis tribute band for no other reason than I just love playing the music of Tony Banks and co. We're working on Los Endos at the moment and I'm pleased to say that I have sourced all the sounds I need - BUT - I'm still lacking in the phaser department.

I wish to treat the organ samples with something as close to Tony's preferred MXR Phase 100 as possible - but in the software plugin domain. If it comes to it, I will buy the reissued MXR pedal but would really rather not buy additional hardware. I did manage to find a free Phase 90 plugin but it doesn't appear to work with Forte.

Is anyone aware of a really top notch phaser plugin for sale that could emulate the Phase 100? I'm happy to pay - just not for hardware.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Re: MXR Phase 100 and Tony Banks

Tried Scarbee´s Vintage Keyboard FX? I´m sure the phaser in there will get you close.

Brill. Thanks Kape, I will.
    Incidentally I have also managed to get the existing phase90 VST plugin to work in Forte, by means of a DX wrapper.
    Regards,
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by sjduck View Post
    Brill. Thanks Kape, I will.
    Incidentally I have also managed to get the existing phase90 VST plugin to work in Forte, by means of a DX wrapper.
    Regards,
    Stephen
    Hi Stephen. I am afraid that no plugin sounds anywhere near the sound of a real, glorious Phase 90/100 (and yes I have tried them all). I own the hardware versions of both (I just love orange I guess), and I was involved in the testing phase (excuse the pun) of Scarbee's effects processor. Sorry to say that even the Scarbee phaser sounds limp, anemic and toneless. I fought for the MXR pedals to be modelled but the Italian devs seemingly had other ideas.

FWIW, I use Nuendo and run my Scarbee Rhodes through one (sometimes both) of my MXR boxes. Yummy!

I've tried to get that Tony Banks Phase 100 sound as well, with no luck so far. Closest I could get was with an Ensoniq DP-pro box, but it still didn't have that rich/pleasing character that the 100 does on a Hammond.

Not sure what the problem is, but I remember thinking it might have something to do with the actual shape of the sweep lfo. I think it may need to be asymetrical in one way or another. The sine and triangle sweeps were too slow in some parts of the sweep range, and too fast in others. If someone does end up trying to model the phase100, hopefully they'll pay some attention to that aspect.

A good software phaser is surprisingly hard to find.

The problem is the classic 'analog' emulation.

If you have an 8 stage analog phaser, you've got 8 filters each with their own little quirk of response over time.

OTOH, with digital, it's -very- easy to create that kind of comb filter. But then each band has a perfectly repetitious response.... -that's- what sounds crap...

To model the individual non-linearities of an 8 stage filter is what used to be called 'a non-trivial exercise'.

That said, if you have the $$$ I would look at Line6 Gearbox or Amplitube2.... I have both and they are surprisingly good for those '70's phasing sound... at least on guitar.

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by glittle View Post
    I've tried to get that Tony Banks Phase 100 sound as well, with no luck so far. Closest I could get was with an Ensoniq DP-pro box, but it still didn't have that rich/pleasing character that the 100 does on a Hammond.

Not sure what the problem is, but I remember thinking it might have something to do with the actual shape of the sweep lfo. I think it may need to be asymetrical in one way or another. The sine and triangle sweeps were too slow in some parts of the sweep range, and too fast in others. If someone does end up trying to model the phase100, hopefully they'll pay some attention to that aspect.

A good software phaser is surprisingly hard to find.

Well,

Not sure what you mean about finding an MXR Phase shifter? This still sell them as hardware, but if you mean you want a software emulation, that exists as well.

I am very much into recreating Mr Banks sounds for a project I am working on and having an RMI and the MXR as you know is a must.

I couldn't find good RMI piano samples so I bought my own and sampled the crap out of it (every combination of every switch), took quite a while.

I just sat back and watched software develop and hit a home run with a TWO FER. I needed a good guitar amp and effect simulation and in my research decided on Amplitube 2. Guess what effect is included? Yup, so I run my RMI samples through Amplitube, engage a fuzz pedal and then the MXR phase shifter and voila, INSTANT TONY BANKS.

It sounds pretty good but not as good as the real thing but it is very very close.

Hope this helps you and I registered on this forum just so I could give you an avenue to pursue for your quest.

And good luck in your tribute band.

Jim

Go Back to forum