• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Orchestra Platinum Bundle and VSL SE

Share/Bookmark

Orchestra Platinum Bundle and VSL SE

Is the Orchestra Platinum Bundle a good addition to the VSE (Plus)? Is anybody using both of them?

Please comment?

trif.

Re: Orchestra Platinum Bundle and VSL SE

I use both. Platinum has nice sounding brass and percussion. Vienna SE has excellent winds and strings.

They compliment one another.

I'm using platinum with VSL's Appasionata strings and it mixes pretty well.
    From what I know of Platinum (I use it) and VSL, I think davecos's comments are pretty much spot on.

Platinum is real great for fast-paced, action oriented filmscore-type music, with a lot of great staccato and marcato samples.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

Quote Originally Posted by davecos View Post
    Platinum has nice sounding brass and percussion. Vienna SE has excellent winds and strings.
    Does anyone know if the VSL instruments included in the Kontakt library are the same as Vienna SE?

I too am looking for some additional wind sounds to complement platinum Xp.

I have tried the VSL samples in Kontakt several times but find them really lacking on many levels.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox View Post
    Does anyone know if the VSL instruments included in the Kontakt library are the same as Vienna SE?

I too am looking for some additional wind sounds to complement platinum Xp.

I have tried the VSL samples in Kontakt several times but find them really lacking on many levels.
    Dubaifox,

The Kontakt libraries are "free" give-aways, just 7 GB of samples - there ´s a big difference both in instrument numbers and articulations.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin View Post
    I'm using platinum with VSL's Appasionata strings and it mixes pretty well.
    From what I know of Platinum (I use it) and VSL, I think davecos's comments are pretty much spot on.

Platinum is real great for fast-paced, action oriented filmscore-type music, with a lot of great staccato and marcato samples.
    BenBotkin, davecos, thanks.
    Ben, what do you mean by saying: ...fast-paced? Can you elaborate a bit, please?
    trif.

Since budget is tight, I like to know if the Gold bundle is also OK (16 bit instead of 24 bit samples, if I am not mistaken, plus????). My projects are 24 bit, 44.1kHz.
    trif.

Quote Originally Posted by trifidmaster View Post
    Dubaifox,

The Kontakt libraries are "free" give-aways, just 7 GB of samples - there ´s a big difference both in instrument numbers and articulations.
    But what about quality. I find the quality really lacking in these VSL samples, and wondering if I buy the full libraries, will I just be getting more of the same type of quality.

I can't seem to get anything in the Kontakt library to work with EWQL and wondering if I should be looking more at Sonivox or Westgate for some more winds.

Conversely, I find that Sam Brass and Strike 1 and 2 works very well with EWQL Plat.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

If you can wait until July 15 then VSL will start offering downloads of single instruments, much like the Westgate sales model. I plan on updating my French Horn and Clarinet then.

I have VSL SE Extended, Appassionata Strings 1 Standard and EWQLSO Plat XP. I find they blend o.k. if you carefully attend to the reverb and panning. My impressions are:

EWQLSO Strings - very nice but hard to switch articulations (hopefully soon to be improved by Play). They get synthy once in a while. EW is planning a new string library next, by the way.

Appassionata Strings - really excellent. It's like VSL fixed all the complaints about their strings with this product. Have not regretted the purchase, but I have no plans for the Extended. If I need trills or random pizz I can dip into EW, and the out of tune presets just sound bizarre. The little grace runs are nice but not $645 nice.

VSL SE Strings - not so nice. Just never have liked that sound. I'm using Sonic Implants 2nd violins for my 2nd violins right now and mostly Appassionata for the 1st Vlns.

VSL SE Woodwinds and Brass - great for legato. Looking forward to the individual updates. If I A/B a VSL wind next to a EW wind I always end up going with VSL. The VSL 8 french horn patch (nee Epic) is nicer than the EW adventure horns. EW clarinet legato even with added key noise doesn't convince like the VSL. And the SE VSL is much better than the Kontakt VSL, not exactly sure why.

VSL Percussion - takes so much verb to get in the back of the hall that I'd rather use EWQLSO.

JMDNYC,

Thanks for the comments.

I have VSL SE, VSL SE plus, Appassionata Strings 1, and now I am getting their Solo strings 1 - hoping that finally I will be able to play a GOOD solo violin line in the low registers (between D4 and A4) - currently I am layering the VSL SE solo violin with my rompler (the rompler adds a nice body).
    Indeed the Appassionata Strings 1 is EXCELLENT!

Yes, I am looking towards their single instrument downloads.

Personally I also do not like much the SE strings, but again I am layering them so it is acceptable.

I am still "looking" for a good reverb settings for the SE, as somehow it needs lots of reverb (I am using SIR2).

trif.

Go Back to forum