• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Where to buy downloadable music?

Share/Bookmark

Where to buy downloadable music?

Hi - I'm after a good site that sells downloadable music (mainly 'classical') that

1. Isn't I-TUNES
    2. Sells not only mp3's but CD quality wavs also
    3. Good range of performances
    4. Hassle free on restrictions
    Nokia has a new site that doesnt like Mozilla (bye bye...)
    Any tips on where you like to shop??

Thanks.

Re: Where to buy downloadable music?

I like eClassical. It's inexpensive and generally high quality (320 kb/s DRM-free mp3) although not WAV.

Slightly OT, since it's free ;-), but a nice resource for everyone living in Europe: The European Archive.

"Meanwhile, as a demonstration of the value of the public domain, if you're not in the US, you can get access to this fantastic collection of 1500 LPs of classical music, in the public domain in Europe, but not in the US, digitized and made available by the EuropeanArchive. Don't count on access to this anytime soon, United States: Nothing published will enter the public domain in the US through the expiration of a copyright term until 2019." -- Lawrence Lessig

http://www.europarchive.org/
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Hi,

maybe you could find something at www.deutschegrammophon.com. I haven't checked out myself and they also just sell mp3s (320kbps at least) - but hey, it's not i-Tunes ;-) and the catalogue is not bad at all...

Cheers

Thorsten

Recently, there's a push to sell music downloads without DRM. From a consumer perspective, I'm all for it. I personally consider music with DRM to be "disposable." Open music (as long as you keep backups) is forever yours.

Consider that MSN Music sold music with DRM, wasn't successful, and was discontinued. They announced that they would cease key support after August, 2008. That means that you will never be able to move this content to a new player. Ever. And if you re-install your OS or reconfigure your computer, it won't play there either.

Amazon sells DRM-free music in the US, and will soon sell it internationally. iTunes sells EMI's collection without DRM. Napster is another option.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...y/15/drm.apple

The "disposable" thing is something to consider with sample libs as well.

Nickie - thanks - I'm coming around to the idea of 30 kb mp3s as a good compromise between sound and ease of download. youre right about the prices too.

Dahnielson - thats a beautiful thing theyve got going at European Archive with the uploaded vinyl from 50+ years ago. Some great performances there, on my first browse.

Thurston - DG has one of the best looking simple flash website entries I've seen. Great site.

Jon - the last sentence in the article sums up what I suspected - DRM was more about controlling business rivals than curbing piracy. At least thats how it seems to have worked out.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by dahnielson View Post
    Slightly OT, since it's free ;-), but a nice resource for everyone living in Europe: The European Archive.

"Meanwhile, as a demonstration of the value of the public domain, ... United States: Nothing published will enter the public domain in the US through the expiration of a copyright term until 2019." -- Lawrence Lessig

http://www.europarchive.org/
    Dahnielson- Thank you. I was not aware of this and it is a tremendous resource.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Might not be what you are looking for since it is base on subscription, but I really like emusic. It's cheap, no DRM or download restriction, however only mp3 VBR, but it is so easy to discover new band/artist and always have something fresh/new to listen to.

I wonder why they use 320kbps mp3's... Doesn't the high bitrate somehow counter the use of compression? Going for FLAC/APE/Wavpack seems more sensible to me....

However I am also in the market for high quality downloads. Unfortunately I only opt for the above mentioned formats so I don't have any suggestions at all.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

I already ask emusic about that and the answer was somewhere in the line that mp3 at 320 VBR seemd to please most of their customer so far, but they didn't seem close to the idea of offering lossless compression in the future. I guess it depends on the demand.

Go Back to forum