• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kind of OT: GRADUATION movie television premiere this Wed. 28th (Film I scored)

Share/Bookmark

Smile Kind of OT: GRADUATION movie television premiere this Wed. 28th (Film I scored)

Hey folks. Just wanted to share a project with you all that I scored and invite you all to check it out. The film is called GRADUATION and was released theatrically in the U.S. in limited cities on May 2, 2008. It is following a "platform release" model...so the theatrical, DVD and broadcast are all squeezed together in a shorter time frame and its release is scheduled to all still hit the graduation time frame here in the U.S. The DVD was released May 13, 2008 and can now be found pretty much anywhere where DVDs are sold, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Borders, etc...

One can see the trailer for the film at the official site www.graduationmovie.com.

I just found out this weekend that GRADUATION will have its hi-definition television premiere this week on the HDNet Movies channel. So one can now see the film for free (schedule those HD DVRs) if you get the channel...

HDNet Movies is usually a part of a high definition package on the various affiliates. So, you have to be subscribed with your cable or satellite provider to receive HD programming to receive the channel. (Note: "HDNet Movies" is a different channel than its sister channel "HD Net"). HDNet Movies is available in the US on AT&T, Bright House Networks, Charter Communications, DIRECTV (ch. 78) , DISH Network (ch. 9423), Insight, Mediacom, Time Warner Cable (ch. 1858), Verizon and more than 40 NCTC cable affiliate companies. The network is available in Canada via Bell Express VU, Cogego, Shaw Cable, Star Choice and more. For more information visit www.hd.net.

The film will be broadcast twice in glorious 1080i HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround on the evening of Wednesday, May 28th, 2008.

Air Dates:
    Wed, May 28th - 9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM PT
    Wed, May 28th - 11:00 PM ET / 8:00 PM PT

About the film:

GRADUATION stars Adam Arkin, Shannon Lucio from The O.C., Riley Smith from Freaks and Geeks, Chris Marquette from The Education of Charlie Banks, Chris Lowell from Veronica Mars, Aimee Garcia from Spanglish, and a cameo appearance by Huey Lewis.

Synopsis:
    When a friend is in need of financial assistance, the logical next step is to plan a bank robbery. At least that was the conclusion of four high school friends about to embark on the next stage of their lives. The question is will they pull off this heist in time to toss their caps at graduation or have they gotten themselves way in over their heads?

Technical stuff:
    For those who would want to know, the score was recorded and mixed entirely in Digital Performer. The film was mixed at the Wilshire Stages in Hollywood and a Pacific Wave Studios in Burbank. I had a lot of fun using and experimenting with Spectrasonics Stylus RMX in the various cues of the film. I was very pleased with how things came out. The director was too.

If there are any questions about the score or the process and tools used, feel free to ask and I would be happy to answer them. Thanks for taking the time to read folks!

Best,

Brian

(All stills were taken by Jon Silberg).

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Re: Kind of OT: GRADUATION movie television premiere this Wed. 28th (Film I scored)

Congratulations, Brian!

The pictures in your post are not visible here though.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: Kind of OT: GRADUATION movie television premiere this Wed. 28th (Film I scored)

Thanks Hannes.

Sorry about the photos...fixed it. It was an image hotlink protection setting on my server that I had to fix.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

That's Great!
    Taxi is good^_-
    why don't you talk about the samples you used.
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Congratulations Brian

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat View Post
    That's Great!
    Taxi is good^_-
    why don't you talk about the samples you used.
    The score is mostly guitar based with some string and orchestral elements throughout. The guitar is a combination of live guitar and sample based guitar elements. There is some of Kyle's Nine Volt Audio Stylus RMX stuff as well. The strings used were Sonic Implant string library (now SoniVox). I still like the sound of those strings over many other libraries and I am familiar with what I need to do to get the sound I want from them.

The director and I had many discussions trying to figure out the orchestral/instrumental pallet we were going to use in the score so it would not be so foreign to the songs in the film. We wanted the score to have a similar sensibility. But also...as the story evolves and the heist begins...the characters in the film are forced to grow up and away from each other and essentially become adults. So...I wanted the score to become more orchestral (thus more 'adult') as the story progress.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

so you listened to the song arrangements then made sure your orchestration fit that. were you mostly just listening to the Hooks of the songs?
    I wish you more Success thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by StrangeCat View Post
    so you listened to the song arrangements then made sure your orchestration fit that. were you mostly just listening to the Hooks of the songs?
    I wish you more Success thanks for posting!
    No, not quite what I am saying...I did not hear any of the final songs before scoring the film actually. The licensing of those songs literally went up to the last minute. It is a very complicate and expensive process for an indie film, that is for sure.

The director and I just wanted to make sure that the score's genre was more in line with what the songs in the film would ultimately be than a traditional orchestral score. The two soundtrack elements had to live in the 'same world' so to speak...at least on some level. He wanted elements of the score to possibly be something the characters in the film (high school kids), might actually listen to. Scoring the film with a classical orchestra throughout would have been inappropriate. I was consulted on the song choices for the film in the end. So...as the music department head (which is what the composer is), the director did value my input as to what songs were appropriate for the various scenes. Of course, we had a music supervisor picking some songs as well.

Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Way to go Brian! If/when this turns up in DVD stores in Australia - I'll definitely give it a watch and a listen. Hope the movie goes well for you!

Sounds like you and the director and a nice understanding that always makes things turn out better and flow better.
    Thanks for the replys!

Go Back to forum