• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, 2nd mvt.

Share/Bookmark

RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, 2nd mvt.

100% GPO as usual. Reading through and performing this score has been life-changing.

2nd movement (new): http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/Chris%...Variazioni.mp3
    1st movement (updated):http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/Chris%...20Alborada.mp3

Some minor changes:

- 2 clarinets replaced by solo bass clarinet at rehearsal E (standard practice?)

- Third trombone replaced by an additional tuba (response to a questionable notation in my copy of mvt. i, continued into ii because it sounded rather nice).

- Pizzicato strings (and first clarinet) doubled by harp at the "Tempo I" (for louder volume while preserving softness of timbre - it takes two pedal harps to play this chromatic line properly).

- I fixed a nasty accent on the solo violin in the first movement. As far as I can remember, that was the only "update"

Enjoy and please comment if you spot anything that needs improvement. The next installment should be the entire third movement plus the cadenzas from movement 4.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, 2nd mvt.

Wow! Great job on this. Is this being played through a notation program or have you sequenced this? Whichever method, the results are remarkable. From the serene beginning through the section where the dynamics build up to the ending, this is nicely done. I don't have any recommendations for you on this, except for a request: please give us more! John (bigears)

Btw I almost forgot to thank Gary (GaryBric), Bill (valhalx), Cransworth, David (etLux), Ron (rolifer), John (bigears), and tubajedimr for their comments on the last installment.

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Wow! Great job on this. Is this being played through a notation program or have you sequenced this? Whichever method, the results are remarkable. From the serene beginning through the section where the dynamics build up to the ending, this is nicely done. I don't have any recommendations for you on this, except for a request: please give us more! John (bigears)
    It's been sequenced note-by-note in FL Studio from a printed copy of the score. It's a rather frustrating process, but I think I've figured out how to get good results.

I'm glad you like it. There will be "more," but probably not for another two weeks as I'll be away from my music machine.

-Chris P.

Very nice rendering. You display a great dynamic sensitivity with the music. All GPO?

Looking forward to the third movement.

Damn the man could compose!!!

I am sure that this can be

" a rather frustrating process, but I think I've figured out how to get good results."

I honestly believe that R-K would be happy with the outcome.

It sounds to me that you have got the dynamics down pat on this and when it comes to his music, getting the dynamics right is half of the job.

Well done

Ron

Call me biased, but I think the strings are a bit too loud once the horns come in at the beginning, and the horns are not loud enough. There should also be a bit of a crescendo in the horn line one the static notes leading to the highest pitch.

For the solo horn passages that are marked as stopped in the score, I assume you are using the muted horn instead since there is no stopped horn available? (Please Gary, give us stopped horns! )

I also prefer the tempo to be a bit slower, but that might just be a personal preference.

The full tutti section in the middle sounds great. In fact, aside from the opening dynamic/balance issues, it all sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Very nice rendering. You display a great dynamic sensitivity with the music. All GPO?

Looking forward to the third movement.

Thanks for your kind words. Yes it's all GPO as I don't have any other orchestral stuff to work with (and it'll probably stay that way, but I like GPO so it's all good )

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Damn the man could compose!!!

I am sure that this can be

" a rather frustrating process, but I think I've figured out how to get good results."

I honestly believe that R-K would be happy with the outcome.

It sounds to me that you have got the dynamics down pat on this and when it comes to his music, getting the dynamics right is half of the job.

Well done

Ron
    I don't know about RK himself but I'm glad you approve. I meant what I said about this being a "life-changing" experience. It's one thing to read about the principles of orchestration, another to listen to his music, but when I sit down with the score in hand and examine how he actually accomplishes all these wonderful things, it's like having a brilliant fireside chat with a dead genius.

-Chris P.

Quote Originally Posted by ALynn View Post
    Call me biased, but I think the strings are a bit too loud once the horns come in at the beginning, and the horns are not loud enough. There should also be a bit of a crescendo in the horn line one the static notes leading to the highest pitch.
    I've tried everything to get the horns louder without making them too brassy. There's even an overlay! I probably will wind up just giving the strings a slight diminuendo after the first two measures. This is now on the agenda for my next update. Thanks for the input.

For the solo horn passages that are marked as stopped in the score, I assume you are using the muted horn instead since there is no stopped horn available? (Please Gary, give us stopped horns! )
    Yeah it's the muted horn. I was tempted to use a muted trumpet (F. Horn vs. Harmon Mute was used to excellent effect in "Scheherazade") but the horn won out.

I also prefer the tempo to be a bit slower, but that might just be a personal preference.
    I sort of agree with you because most of the recordings I've heard of this are much slower and they sound great, but for this rendition I'm trying to stay closer than usual to the indicated tempos (we'll see how well that works in movement 4 though ).

The full tutti section in the middle sounds great. In fact, aside from the opening dynamic/balance issues, it all sounds great.
    Thanks!!

-Chris P.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast