• Register
  • Help

Topic: Drum Loops to "match" GM500 Giga drums ?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Drum Loops to \"match\" GM500 Giga drums ?

Marty,

Your problem here is going to be that the pool of people who can help you is only as big as the pool of owners of the GM500 kit who visit this forum and use loop CDs - which is probably a small number.

I\'ve got lots of loop CDs at work, but I have no idea what the GM500 kit/s sound like.

Thanks Chadwick,
    I thought there would be lots of GM500 users, but, if not, I would appreciate any other suggestions of giga drums and snare/hat/cymbal loops that just fit well together. I hoped to match the GM500 drums since I already own those. Thanks, Marty

I have the GM500 set, and the Peter Erskine library. These are the only full drum kits I have, and PE does NOT have a GM mapped set. I\'ve started several times to do this, but it seems to be quite time-intensive, and I usually don\'t have that kind of time in my life.

Personally, (not advice, just real world crunch) I would not worry too much about the loop sounds matching the kit sounds. As long as they sound good, why care? Now if it sounds bad to you, then you\'ve got another issue (and I assume it does, or you wouldn\'t have posted this...)

Suggestion-try to determine what sounds wrong, and what sounds OK, and what sounds even better that the original. Use the samples you like and remap other kit sounds from you rother libraries into the basic GM. Map the sounds in GM you don\'t USE to the alternate sounds you DO (right/left snare, alternate hats, etc.)

Dasher

Marty, I agree with Soundsmith.
    When we\'re sorting out a rhythm part that\'s going to be loop based, we just audition loop after loop until something catches our ear.

Then we go through all our Giga snares in the same way, then the kicks etc., to find sounds that \'fit\'.

I\'ve combined all our best individual drums into instrument files so that I can just play up the keyboard to audition different sounds. So we\'ve got a few \'snare\' instruments, a few \'kick\' instruments etc.,
    I don\'t even know which CD some of them came from.

Also, a lot depends on your music style.
    Thomas Scarbye recently bought Eric Persing\'s Metamorphosis and he loves it, but maybe it\'s too electronic for some.

There are other CDs like Discrete Drums which have complete songs played and broken into sets of tracks which you can recombine and remix in your audio recorder. Acid loops are relatively inexpensive and with Acid you have the added advantage of being able to vary the temo of the loop by quite a bit and still maintain the same timbre (no munchkinising). I love Acid because I can set its tempo to that of the song I\'m working on and then just click on loop after loop to hear them as they would sound in the mix - without having to sample, edit, assign, tune etc.,

Drum Loops to \"match\" GM500 Giga drums ?

Hi, I use the GM500 giga drums and like the one-shot kicks, toms, etc. I would like to purchase some motion loops for snares, hats and maybe cymbal rides, so, I\'d like to get some suggestions of one or more good snare/hat/cymbal loop cd\'s that come close to matching the tone of the GM500 drums. I have a couple of loop cd\'s, but the sounds don\'t seem to be in the same ballpark as the GM500 set. I\'m sure I could get \"closer\" with EQ and effects, but I\'d like to know if anyone could suggest a loop cd that might be a fairly close match. Many thanks, Marty

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chadwick:
    There are other CDs like Discrete Drums which have complete songs played and broken into sets of tracks which you can recombine and remix in your audio recorder. Acid loops are relatively inexpensive and with Acid you have the added advantage of being able to vary the temo of the loop by quite a bit and still maintain the same timbre (no munchkinising). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the same way I work, it is so easy to audition and arrange loops in Acid.
    And you can start the loops from wherever inside the loop and add hits for variation etc. The timbre does not change at all, but loops slowed down way below their original tempo (like 100%) will get an echo effect.
    I am in the process of acidizing Discrete Drums and Multiloops\' Rock and Pop/R&B libraries, two very fine packages with 8-track 24-bit loops. There is a freeware batch converter at http://www.btinternet.com/~taskie/software/acidhead-1.html
    The only limitation with this is that it works on whole folders so that loops with a different number of beats need to be moved temporarily to another folder before processing.
    Hope this helps

Thanks Dasher, Chadwick & Erik. And thanks Erik for the link to the freeware ACID\'izer. I didn\'t know about that product, but I have now downloaded it. I forgot to mention that I, also, have the ACID product. It\'s so easy to get a loop or portion of a loop and set it to the tempo of the current project and import it. I would really like to find some ACID\'ized snare, hat and cymbal loops that will fit better with the GM500 kick and toms, if possible. Any suggestions really appreciated. Thanks, Marty

Go Back to forum