• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please don't laugh me outta here

Share/Bookmark

Please don't laugh me outta here

Yes, I am an utter nuby. The extent of my familiarity with Garritan is that I use Sibelius through it, although I will say that I did master keyswitching before Sibelius automated the process. Anyway, here's my question. I just got a midi keyboard to see if inputting into Sibelius is faster that way. I thought it might be fun to be able to play the keyboard through Garritan, so, for example, now I am writing a string quartet - wouldn't it be neat to improvise on the keyboard and have the Garritan violin, viola, and cello sounding? Perhaps I could assign each instrument to a certain octave or something. I would like there to be 8 voice polyphony. If someone can help get me going with that I would be much obliged.

Richard Ratner

Re: Please don't laugh me outta here

The problem is, What keyboard have you got? Can it have a split keyboard ?

Your best bet with Sibelius, is to play one instrument at a time. Play the cello,Then go back over it with the violin etc. I know that in the Kompakt Player you can assign ranges for each instrument, but I am not sure if that can be done thru the KP2 player. But even if this is possible, you should still do one at a time so as not to lose the range of each instrument.

Hope that helps

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    The problem is, What keyboard have you got? Can it have a split keyboard ?
    Thanks for your reply. I have an M-Audio Keystation 49e. I have no idea whether the keyboard can split - I guess I thought that part could be handled by software, I suppose for impov purposes if need be I could just use the Garritan generic strings sound over the entire keyboard. I would just like to play and have the string sound connected somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Your best bet with Sibelius, is to play one instrument at a time. Play the cello,Then go back over it with the violin etc. I know that in the Kompakt Player you can assign ranges for each instrument, but I am not sure if that can be done thru the KP2 player. But even if this is possible, you should still do one at a time so as not to lose the range of each instrument.

Hope that helps

Ron
    Hi, actually I am not concerned about playing through sibelius - that part I can figure out. I am interested in improvising through Garritan sounds.

Hi, I'm not familiar with the M-Audio keyboards, whether or not you can set up zones on them. If so, that would be the best way to go. One alternative, just to be able to perform live a sound that would approximate the range of notes of the bowed instruments of the violin family, would be to load the double bass solo instrument in the first slot of the GPO interface, and then load a solo violin in another slot, assign the same midi channel number to both, and then you would have the entire range covered with a string sound, although not properly the correct timbre assigned to each note, at least you could play freely and hear a string sound at the pitch of each piano key.
    Hope this is what you are after. John

Hi rsratner -

This is just for improvising (and capturing a full keyboard score if you want), not for a string quartet score.

I just tried this to make sure I knew what I was talking about.

In Sib 5.2 (on XP SP2), I did the following...

Start new Score
    Set it up for Piano
    Click on Play>Playback Devices
    Click on the active device, KontaktPlayer2
    Click on Show (This opens the Kontakt player)
    Delete any loaded piano sounds.
    Load solo string sounds. Set them all to channel 1. [Suggestion: Click on the Gears button and the Instrument tab. Change the range of instruments so there isn't as much overlap in the middle range. Makes a nicer sound.]
    Tweak panning and volume to taste.
    Waste hours of time improvising instead of composing (like I do).

Enjoy! - k

2nd thought: You don't need the 2nd violin and viola for a nice string quartet sound. Just load a violin and cello. Set the cello range to stop at the f# just below the violin's low g. Otherwise, a 4-note chord could trigger up to 16 samples. Again, this is just for improvising/having fun.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum