• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Scoring this trumpet sound: im right?

Share/Bookmark

Scoring this trumpet sound: im right?

First all, feel free to move it to other forum section if you believe here is not ok.

I need some of your knowledge help. I want to score this sound (made with the "tpt 1 solo ag" patch of GPO)

http://stashbox.org/124861/trumpet-score.mp3

I made the sound in cakewalk, using the modwheel and the cc16 "aggressiveness" . I want to score it, and i want to know if what you hear is well represented by this scoring:

Additionaly, do you believe that this can be achieved by a trumpet, or the slide is proper of a trombone only? Any suggestion using the cc16?

Thanks very much, and any other comment you want to give, is very welcome.
    Marcelo Colina

Re: Scoring this trumpet sound: im right?

Hi Marce,

I think you have it scored reasonably well, although the dynamic markings are more commonly placed beneath the staff. The top of your "scoop" mark has the upper end pointing to the right side of the whole note. More typically, it should be placed so that the upper end points the the left side -- or "beginning" -- of the note being scooped.

The sound of the forte-piano-crescendo is fine. The scooped note, though, is a bit TOO "scoopy" for a trumpet to pull off. Since valved brass instruments have to "lip down" then return the embouchure to a normal state to achieve a scoop, the dip in pitch is pretty negligible (but still very effective when performed well).

Hope this helped a little!

Danny

Dan is correct. What you want is a 'doit' or upward glissando. I play trumpet and the effect you want is very playable. It may be a bit difficult in that range (higher is easier). The 'doit' mark starts at the pitch and curves up away from the pitch. (Doit is pronounced doeete. The name comes from the vocalization used to create the effect. In essence, the player mouths the sound and the note scoots up.)
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks very much both! My english is fine for easy conversation, but i spent some minutes to understand some terms, so excuse me if im wrong about what i understood:

for Danny:
    About the score, do you believe that this one is more apropiate?:

for wrayer:

are you saying me that instead of the scoop mark this one is more apropiate? (the second one, maybe with a smaller interval):

Thanks again, and your comments are very welcome.

No, all you need is the bend (no second note) The bend should scoop up and away from the note it is attached to. I used the term glissando to reference what it sounds like - there is no endpoint note, just a bend that goes upwards. I'll try to make a picture and add it later to the post.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    No, all you need is the bend (no second note) The bend should scoop up and away from the note it is attached to. I used the term glissando to reference what it sounds like - there is no endpoint note, just a bend that goes upwards. I'll try to make a picture and add it later to the post.
    Hi wrayer, thanks your answer!
    So, the note startpoint must be in this case an La-b, then i add the scoop like you said, but how the player knows the note where he must end if there is no endpoint? I wish he ends at an upper Do (or the player cant control exactly where he ends?). A picture would very much apreciated, if you have the time.

Hey, just thought I'd put my two cents in.

a doit will just have the note you want the player to start on, and the scoop or glissando next to it. You can write it like this...

With a scoop, or like this....

With a small glissando.

The player will start on the "C" in this case, and will lip up the note, usually while also pushing the valves on the trumpet about halfway down, to allow the player to just move up. And like wrayer sad, it's easier to do this in the upper range.

You don't need an ending note, because the players just going to go up and stop anywhere within an octave or so, but not usually anything higher than that.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

You don't need an ending note, because the players just going to go up and stop anywhere within an octave or so, but not usually anything higher than that.
    Thanks the pics! I understand, but in the audio example in my first post, the scoop starts in Ab and ends in the upper C, because it`s important for the harmony of the rest of the orchestra that is playing that it ends in C, i believe that if i score in the way you posted the player can understand that he can stop in anywhere where he like, instead of the C note?

So how do you perform the doit in a sequencer program? Is it a CC# or a keyswitch?

Perhaps it's done as it is on a wind instrument. You mouth the word "doit" as you hit the midi key?

Quote Originally Posted by Gustov Varbirski View Post
    So how do you perform the doit in a sequencer program? Is it a CC# or a keyswitch?

Perhaps it's done as it is on a wind instrument. You mouth the word "doit" as you hit the midi key?
    I think this is not the right forum section to post a link to a trumpet instrument where you can do it very easy... . :-)

But there is a great "trumpet" on the market with that you can do this and many other special things... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum