• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Musical Machination

The Musical Machination

Alright, I've admitted multiple times before (intentionally, and by unintentionally showing my ignorance) that I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to sampling software. I just sit back and let Finale do all the work! So, I set myself a challenge in this 11-person percussion ensemble that was originally written with MIDI synth. Currently, the instrument spread is as follows:

Snare/Bass Drum
    Marimba (I & II)

Vibraphone and Chimes (Because I only have the Finale version of GPO)
    Toms and Cymbals (Because it's 1:35 AM, and I'm too tired to convert these right now!)

Currently, aside from a few blips and bloops here and there, I'm simply having to deal with volume issues, especially the middle part (or what I refer to as "The Breakdown"). Any tips on the rendering aspect of this would be appreciated, but I would also luuuuuv to hear some comments about the song itself!

Note: This song is mostly Forte throughout (if not, it's probably usually louder ) So adjust your volume accordingly! This song sucks when listened to quietly, or at least, doesn't suck as bad when played loudly.

Thanks for listening,

M. Obermeyer, Jr.

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6585825&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6585825&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Central Illinois

Re: The Musical Machination

Michael, I enjoyed listening to this. The point at which it seems to stop in the middle might have a bit of a overall volume problem. When it starts again, with the lower register drums, I thought the volume might be a bit low. All seems to go well after that, until the very end where maybe the crescendo might be smoothed out a bit, or ramp up over a longer time.(IMO) It just seemed to jump a bit quickly to me. Nice work, thanks for sharing. John (bigears)

In Sibelius, I use dynamics in every measure. Sometimes as many as 4-5 per measure for every instrument, although 1-2 will suffice. I also use hairpins between all of the dynamics and usually skip a setting in the dynamics. So I go from mf to ff not mf to f. I use as many as possible to give it more of a realistic feel.

This is much easier to accomplish in Sonar, so I no longer have to deal with it in sibelius.

Hope that helps

I like this piece very much. Interesting. Enjoyable with much of contrasts. Nice combination of percussions.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thanks for your comment! Yes, the middle section I believe can easily be fixed by simply adjusting the dynamic markings. Since this was originally done with MIDI in Finale, I have to adjust all the volume settings for each instrument, since they vary proportionally. I must've skipped this section The crescendo at the end I feel is just a little over-done on my part. I think lowering the final dynamic by the climax of the crescendo should fix that. Thanks for your help! It's always nice to have fresh ears to give feed back on something I've heard over-and-over again.

Yes rolifer, I do need to work on my usage of dynamics. I tend to be a little lazy in this part of composing. I generally think something sounds fine when I compose it, but I never consider how much better it could (and would) sound with fluxuations, even the smallest ones, in dynamics throughout a piece to help bring out phrasing and add shape to a piece. Thanks a lot for your tip!

Thank you very much, Jun for your comment! I do try to put a lot of contrasting section in my music right next to each other. And yes, I love tinkering around with percussion
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Michael, one heck of a job on this; really well done --
    great use of percussion, and effective compositional
    contrasts and surprise.

I'd think any persussion group would take this on with
    pleasure; so I do hope you'll get this to print!

My best,

Re: The Musical Machination - A hero's journey

Hi Michael,

Fantastic opening!

I could'nt find A hero's journey among your earlier posts!

But I past it here so everybody can listen! to "A hero's journey"

The opening is really heroic I must say!I like the orchestration very much throughout the piece!

Your name, Obermeyer sounds German! Sounds like you have inherited some of Richard Strauss' skills!Very professional!

Thanks for having shared this before!

Hi again, Fredrik! Again, I can't say how surprised I was to see this post resurface again Yes, my last name is German, but my German heritage is a 3 or 4 generations ago.

I never posted anything about A Hero's Journey because it doesn't use GPO instruments. I did, however take the final section of it and use it in "Memories: A Medley from the Past," which does use GPO. Thank you very much for your kind words, they mean a lot!

Edit: I just realized, A Hero's Journey wasn't posted because it was my entry for the first Movie Music Challenge. Obviously, then, it does use GPO I was thinking of Path of the Adventurer, which does not use GPO. Just had to clear that up before I take this test in my Computer Science class
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum