• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Roma Soundtrack Competition

Share/Bookmark

OT: Roma Soundtrack Competition

My uncle sent me a link to the Roma Soundtrack Competition, and I thought I'd share it in case anyone was interested.

I'm on the fence about it personally. I'd prefer to see more of the film before I decide to do it, but you only get to see it if you pay the 50 Euro entry fee, which I think is a bit high anyway. But I might do it anyway, since I'm not hugely busy at the moment.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: OT: Roma Soundtrack Competition

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    but you only get to see it if you pay the 50 Euro entry fee, which I think is a bit high anyway.
    Forget it. That is a rip-off. Even the American Idol Songwriting contest only had a $10 entrance fee. That seemed reasonable, and would yield far more rewards if chosen!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Now, this is just a thought and it can go right back where it came from but:

How about we sponsor a contest for the Garritan Forum and have members create a musical score to the video Roma provided, have the forum members vote on the best score, and have that winner enter the contest. The forum could gather donations to pay for the entry of that winner.

Again, just a thought.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

I almost always pass on entry fees that surpass any handling and processing necessary to conduct a contest.

On the other hand, if I find 50 Euro lying around and a new idea in my head, who knows?
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Interesting. ...
    Styxx

With no disrespect meant for DanPowers; He doesnt have any chance on American Idol. Its about looks almost as much as talent and to be frank: Dan is a stick figure.

Hey, I worked hard for this figure!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Since opening this thread, I've taken a closer look at the rules, and there's one that puts me off.

The video, realized by Valerio Carosi, is property of the author who kindly allowed the use for the Contest. The video (or a part of it) can’t be use for different purposes. Any other public performance or a copying the video are strictly prohibited.
    So we would be prohibited from using the resulting video in a portfolio for self-promotional purposes, or putting it on Youtube to share with any of our cyberpals.

Sorry, but it's looking more and more like a bad deal to me, so I'm going to pass.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I agree Dan.

I'll pass - sounds a bit contrived. Oh well, could have been fun.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

How about we sponsor a contest for the Garritan Forum
    Harmony Assistant, the notation program, offenly organizes contests. The previous one was interesting, because they take a very old silent movie, that was available in the Internet Archive site, so copyright was not an issue, and then they ask to score it. They use "Le voyage dans la lune" film, but you can look for any other that become interesting, funny or weird to orchestrate.
    The site where this old film is, is here:
    http://www.archive.org/details/Levoyagedanslalune

The contest i refer is here: (you need scroll down)
    http://www.myriad-online.com/en/community/contest.htm

And the site where you can browse for some movie that can be orchestrated without the copyright issue is here:
    http://www.archive.org/details/moviesandfilms

Well, just an idea.

Go Back to forum