• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A short orchestral fantasy

Share/Bookmark

A short orchestral fantasy

This is a tiny trinket, a silly thing really, that I wrote after someone made a rather scathing comment about me.

It's entitled "Fantasy on themes of Mahler" (actually, in the score Beethoven's name is there, but struck out).

recording

Don't expect it to SOUND like Mahler... I only borrowed his themes, the rest is pure "moi".

Re: A short orchestral fantasy

Michel

I have read that 90% of a conversation is done thru body language. That leaves only 10% in the spoken word.

I Read a post here on one of my pieces and responded to it in my usual way. When that post was responded to in a defensive manner, I went back to my post and saw that what I had written could have been taken in 2 ways. One pleasent way and one not so nice. I then reread the post to my post and saw that it also could be taken 2 ways. I PM'd the person and we both laughed at how the thread could have been read.

I followed the thread your are referring to in your post, but did not go back to the Mahler and Beethoven spat that caused the new one. My guess is that that post was also misread and there was no basis for a confrontation at all.

When we type here what we mean to say, we are leaving out tons of body language that would provide a much fuller meaning to what we are saying.

Regardless, you took the emotions that that encounter caused you to feel and poured it into a musical piece. That is one of the greatest things about music. The ability to rid ourselves of unwanted or destructive emotions is a wondrous thing.

By now, the way you intially felt is long gone and yet you have a new piece of music that will last a much longer time.

Personally, I like Beethoven better than Mahler.

Well done

ron

Whatever the motivation you produced a very nice piece once again. I chuckled when I heard the Beethoven 5 motiv.

Thanks for sharing this.

Steve Winkler

Thank-you Ron and Steve.

I dont want to get into any details of any spats, so that will be left out of this post.

My initial inspiration was an image of a score, with "Variation on themes of".. then the name Beethoven, crossed out, and replaced with that of Mahler.

I rarely get visual inspiration for my music, so this was quite fun.

I didn't intend on spending weeks on end working on this piece either, so I changed from the initial "variations on.." to simply a "Fantasy on themes of.." idea.

By the way Ron, I don't know if you noticed, but Beethoven gets the last word in, edgewise

Michel

Notice that I also left out any details of the spat. Minor little things that just happen from time to time.

But I did notice that the Master, Beethoven, got the last word even though he would not have heard it. I think that is one of the reasons his works fascinate me so much. I enjoy Mahler and have seen a few of his works done in concerts, but I go to see Beethoven's works every chance I get. His 9th Symphony would be considered pure genious for someone that could hear.

Ron

Michel:

Well done.....all around. Great use of the themes
    and so well rendered.

Always a pleasure to hear your creative ideas expressed
    through music.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

I don't know what is the background but I think this is well-done tune and enjoyed it. I much like from around 1'17'' a passage like fugetta. Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    http://jun.music.coocan.jp/
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Michel.

Such a nice piece - it is you, with two giants looking over your shoulder(s)... It is interesting that you start the piece with a quote from Beethoven 9, as that is how Mahler 1 begins. So, very witty!

I don't the episode that inspired this, but it would be nice if all arguments resulted in such fine music - the world would b a better place. Thanks for sharing this, as it makes a lovely work to listen to, as well as being an homage of sorts to two of our greatest "heros".

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thank-you so much Jack, and Ron.
    Arigato gozaimashi_ta, Jun-san. (please excuse the extra space... the forum "profanity filter" sees a bad word in the middle of my thanks to you)

Unfortunately, I can't say that bad life-experiences always move me to creative expression. Quite honestly, the events that "inspired" this little musical fantasy are so not worth repeating! As a matter of fact, I have decided to avoid any further aggravation and simply ignore the antagonist in question.

Thankfully, there are also things like the movie challenge here to push me to try to do my best!

Ron, not being a terribly big Mahler fan, I was actually unaware that the Mahler 1st began that way!

In truth, had I actually BEEN a Mahler fan, I would probably have juxtaposed themes from Mahler's 5th and 9th symphonies with the Beethoven quotes, to at least make the Fantasy "numerically balanced"

Jun-san, I am also particularly proud of my little fuga on a (heavily modified) theme of Mahler. It's a rhythmic contraction of a theme from his 2nd symphony.

Michel,

Mahler's quote of Beethoven is very subtle. Most composers were intimidated by Beethoven's legacy of symphony writing (Brahms, for instance), but not Mahler. Beethoven's 9th is in D minor; Mahler's first is in D minor. Beethoven opens his 9th with a 20-25 second passage of 4th and fifths, a little ambiguous as to key, and certainly ambiguous as to mood/affect of the movement; Mahler begins the same way - only drawn out over several minutes. It is as though he were saying, "Yes, I am ready to take up the mantle of symphonic composition". Listen to the the two openings, and I think you will see what I mean - the Mahler is Beethoven in slow motion...

Just some thoughts.

A bientot.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast