• Register
  • Help

Topic: Holberg Suite: Prelude

Holberg Suite: Prelude

I think this is a personal best for realism in a rendering of a piece so fast, and what a wonderful piece this is (I love this suite a lot).

I. Prelude

(and while the original piano version would be wonderful with the Garritan Stienway I'm sorry to announce that I'm working with the strings from GPO )

And for those of you who commented on my Overture, I took your advice and have returned to Soundclick, so no need to worry about annoying ads!

Re: Holberg Suite: Prelude

This has ALWAYS been one of my favourite string pieces (lucky me, it was on the same concert programme as my Scherzo in Seattle).

And yes, I think this is the ideal "work-out" piece to test an orchestral library.

There's still a tiny something mising in the attacks of the opening, to my ear.

Still a great job on a sadistically treatorous piece of music to realize. I love the high 1st violin entries at the start, on those long notes.

I added aggressive short bow doublings for the bass and cello and was debating whether or not to do so for the top three voices, and in the interest of laziness ultimately didn't. I appreciate your suggestion because I agree that the beginning could've used it; increasing the strength of the attacks would be laborious and complicated but I rerecorded with aggressive short bow doublings which makes it a bit sharper and grittier. (and I updated the mp3 on Soundclick to this new edit, inwhich the ending tempos are also a little different)

The violin section doubled by a softer Guarnerius solo did wonders for the sustained passages! Thanks for dropping by Mr. Edward

Excellent work! I don't know much about HA, but you have certainly found a way to use it (and GPO) to great advantage.

Wonderful to hear this rendition of this piece - will you do the whole suite?
    Ron Pearl

Very well done. Absolutely beautiful string work.

I think you have captured almost everything this
    work has to offer and done it so well with GPO.

BRAVO, Simon

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Unfortunately I don't own the score for the suite, this render was an approximation based on recordings and a string quartet (with optional dbl bass) arrangement that I found lying around online. The suite would be great fun though, so I'm planning on splurging on scores sometime this week with Holberg among the purchases. Thank you Raph and Mr. Pearl for listening!

Great rendering.

I am not that famaliar with Holberg but it seems to me you have gone to great lengths to recreate his music and have done so in a very convincing manner.

Well done

A superb job on this, Simon -- of particular note was
    the top-drawer job of "conducting" the piece. And
    the rendering: You've gotten incredible mileage out
    of GPO in this!

The one thing I might second-look is the overall dynamic
    range, which is perhaps slightly wide. I found myself
    stroking the volume knob up on the lowest dynamics,
    down on the highest.

But well done, indeed!

My best,

Love the Holberg suite.

I agree that some of the attacks are not strong enough, but overall the balance and blend is quite nice.

Go Back to forum