• Register
  • Help

Topic: First Rehearsal

Share/Bookmark

First Rehearsal

Well, I am pleased tonight, despite a mild reaction to a pain killer. Tonight was the first run through of one of my piano pieces, and it went quite well. It sure brings a piece to life to have it performed by a living, breathing pianist. And it helps if the pianist has studied with Andre Watts and Byron Janis. It is always good for the ego to have your works performed! My Lebensgefährte was quite impressed with the difference a live musician made to the piece. I wish I were a good enough pianist to play more of my music. Well, maybe some day. I don't know exactly when or where, but I expect a local performance in the next few months.

There were some minor corrections to the score, all of them concerning expression. I learned from that!

Richard

Re: First Rehearsal

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I am pleased tonight, despite a mild reaction to a pain killer. Tonight was the first run through of one of my piano pieces, and it went quite well. It sure brings a piece to life to have it performed by a living, breathing pianist. And it helps if the pianist has studied with Andre Watts and Byron Janis. It is always good for the ego to have your works performed! My Lebensgefährte was quite impressed with the difference a live musician made to the piece. I wish I were a good enough pianist to play more of my music. Well, maybe some day. I don't know exactly when or where, but I expect a local performance in the next few months.

There were some minor corrections to the score, all of them concerning expression. I learned from that!

Richard
    Great news Richard, that's the way to go! The opportunity to make some minor ammendments presumably leaves one feeling more confident that you could pass the score to any other good pianist and expect to hear it performed as intended.

Is this a piece we have heared here in the Listening Room? If not, when you get a spare moment.....

Best wishes and good luck moving forward, Graham

Also, when it is played live, will we get to
    hear the recording?

Hope so.................

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Congratulations Richard! As a pianist I think your music's great, and you deserve to be heard.

Incidentally I still intend to learn Firestorm when I can. Things kind of got in the way, but I'll find the time in the Summer vacation.
    David

Well, I don't know if there will be a recording. Some of his concerts are recorded. I spent plenty of time today trying to find a way to make a decent recording here at my home, but so far, no success.

The piece is one that I had up here last December, called either Black Ripples or Black Toccata. I can't remember. It now has a more fitting title, "Dorian Ripples". It sound simple, but I can tell you that in performance, it is far from simple.

Dave, I was just about to ask you if you had yet found the nerve to tackle Firestorm!

Richard

Good to hear, Richard. I hope we'll get to listen
    to a recording of the performance!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ahh, the secret to a great piano piece--pain killers.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum