• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Incompatibles"-piano trio

Share/Bookmark

"Incompatibles"-piano trio

I have uploaded a piano trio piece called "Incompatibles". Please find the link in my page, the top of the tunes, mp3 and score.

http://jun.music.coocan.jp/

This tune is the only one I composed in the year 2007. It is a hybrid between classical and popular music. It holds a Garage-2 Step part,a Jazz-4beat part, and a latin style part and still in a form of classical piano trio.

This rendition uses now discontinued Strad Violin and Gofriller Cello so that it may not be very appropriate to be posted here. If any problem, please let me know. The rendition is done with Finale 2008 human playback which did a splendid work on this particular tune though I had to tweak some glitches in SONAR especially unwanted keyswitches.

The discontinuation of the two products and the line was (and is) a tremendous shock to me because I was expecting to have a viola in the same line and planning to compose a string quartet.

I hope the hole in the line-up shall soon be filled with new products.

I entered this tune into a composition competition in Japan but it was not awarded.

As usual, any input, suggestions, critiques will be highly appreciated.

Musically yours,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan
    MIDI AND SAMPLING TECHNOLOGY HAS OPENED AN ENTIRE NEW WORLD OF MUSIC!

Re: "Incompatibles"-piano trio

Jun:

This is a great contemporary effort. I liked everything
    about it: the instrumentation, the individual lines, the
    dissonance, your rendering of the instruments, etc...

In my opinion, it should have been awarded.

BRAVO, Jun

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Jun

As soon as the piano jumped into this one, I knew I would enjoy it.

I doubt if you composed this with the cinema in mind, but I can easily see this in a suspense movie. But it stands on its own very well.

I enjoy entering competitions myself, but see them as a chance for experience rather than the possiblity of coming away with an award. In any given competition, if you change the jury, you will undoubtably get a different winner. So I always take the outcome of competitions with a grain of salt.

What Piano is this?

This was a very enjoyable listen.

Well done

Ron

Thumbs up Re: "Incompatibles"-piano trio

Jun:

You can't see me but I am standing as I type this, as an ovation to your remarkable imagination and the skills to express it. I've finally found something that truly deserves the word "awesome."
    Those judges that overlooked you must be the same ones that thought the Titanic, the Hindenburg and the Edsel were winners!

Steve (sos)

This was a shocking piece. When you said elements of popular and latin, I was not expecting this at all. I can't say I saw many moments of those influences, at least not how I might perceive them.

It's quite beautiful, despite being in a musical language I am not generally fond of.

There were hints of Webern and Berg, with tiny touches of jazz mixed in in the middle section (particularly in the piano part). The writing is very VERY difficult for the musicians! It's a fine piece, and SHOULD have been awarded!

Jack,

Thank you very much. Your comment is really encouraging. Actually I was losing my momentum toward this type of music. But I now see some light in some distance.
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Ron, thank you very much for your kind comment.

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    As soon as the piano jumped into this one, I knew I would enjoy it.
    I am very glad you like it.

I doubt if you composed this with the cinema in mind, but I can easily see this in a suspense movie. But it stands on its own very well.
    Actually I do not have any picture in my mind with this music. But your opinion is interesting.

I enjoy entering competitions myself, but see them as a chance for experience rather than the possiblity of coming away with an award. In any given competition, if you change the jury, you will undoubtably get a different winner. So I always take the outcome of competitions with a grain of salt.
    This is a word of wisdom. I very much agree with you.

What Piano is this?
    GPO original Steinway (not authorized Steinway). It sounds still great I believe.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Thank you, Steve. It is really encouraging. I now feel the effort of my one year is vindicated.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Those judges that overlooked you must be the same ones that thought the Titanic, the Hindenburg and the Edsel were winners!
    Well, I hope some players who want to perform this piece appear before I will be gone

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Michel, thank you very much for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    This was a shocking piece. When you said elements of popular and latin, I was not expecting this at all. I can't say I saw many moments of those influences, at least not how I might perceive them.
    This is a very interesting comment. Because I myself thought it is very easy to see the pop influence in the tune.

It's quite beautiful, despite being in a musical language I am not generally fond of.
    This is also one of best comments I can expect.

There were hints of Webern and Berg, with tiny touches of jazz mixed in in the middle section (particularly in the piano part). The writing is very VERY difficult for the musicians! It's a fine piece, and SHOULD have been awarded!
    I know it should be tough for especially for the pianist. There should be some room of improvement for piano writing as well as strings.

Sincerely,
    Jun Yamamoto
    Tokyo, Japan

Nice work! Love the interaction between the piano and the violin. Some very interesting writing for the piano! I also listened to your other music while I was on your website, it is all very good. Thanks!

Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast