• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO/JABB Piano Pedal Problem

Share/Bookmark

GPO/JABB Piano Pedal Problem

When I use either the GPO Steinway Piano or the JABB Steinway Jazz piano, if I include the use of a sustain pedal, the sound bleeds over into the next measure. It's not really noticeable if the next measure is not pedaled, but it is very noticeable and sounds awful if the next measure is pedaled. It gets worse if I include reverb. This poses a problem because one of my in-progress orchestrations includes a good deal of piano pedal.

I make sure that each pedal is released, so it can't be the issue of forgetting to release it.

What can I do to fix this?

Re: GPO/JABB Piano Pedal Problem

The problem might be because of overlapped notes.
    Check if the beginning of the next pedal starts AFTER the end of all the previous notes overlaps.

Yudit

What exactly do you mean?

Are you working with a sequencer or with a notation program?

In a sequencer, if your next pedal starts before the previous pedaled notes end, then they'll continue to sound together with your next notes.
    That's why you don't have this problem when you don't have the second pedal.

Yudit

I use a notation program.

I'll try to visually express it as best as I can.

"Ped" = sustain pedal

* = release pedal

| = Bar line

"Ped" [whatever notes are in the measure] * | "Ped" [notes of next measure] *

And so on.

You need to be sure that the notation programme is not giving the note an exact length. If a quarter note is say exactly a quarter note long and this is followed by another note exactly placed on the beat, there is no physical time in which the pedal change can occur.

Midi instructions are sent on "ticks" (often 480 th of a beat), if the note off command is immediately followed by the note on then the pedal cannot be switched off until the next tick. All programmes must use roughly the same method.

On overlap, the first notes end instruction is after the second notes start. This is allowable and may be intended as in arpeggios but this can be confusing the software.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolZidane View Post
    I use a notation program.

I'll try to visually express it as best as I can.

"Ped" = sustain pedal

* = release pedal

| = Bar line

"Ped" [whatever notes are in the measure] * | "Ped" [notes of next measure] *

And so on.
    Yes, this is how it should be, but the question is whether the notes before the bar line are longer than the bar and extend into the next bar = overlap.

Which notation program are you using?
    Have you recorded into the program or just notated by hand?
    Can you see the notes lengths other than as note symbols?
    Can you insert an image of how it looks?

I use Noteworthy Composer.

The staves are connected, that means piano or similar right. Too many pedals. You can't pedal the upper staff differently from the lower staff. Either you pedal the instrument or you don't. There is only one pedal (sustain) on a piano

I have tried this out in Cubase. If you need to play this with the pedals shown you need 2 separate instruments. If a piano then 2 instances.

If you meant this to be brass or reeds in JABB this is not sustain but legato.
    Last edited by buckshead; 05-31-2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Second thoughts

That didn't fix it. The sound still overlaps into the next measure.

Go Back to forum