• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: help with synth sound design

Share/Bookmark

OT: help with synth sound design

Hello everyone. I am trying (and have been for years off and on) to get a particular sound programmed for playing with my band. The song is "Why Cant This Be Love" by Van Halen. The sound is the right handed part heard here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UHatmYtyJhk . I have a Yamaha AN1x and a MicroKorg as VAs. The micro has a sound very close but looses that sync sound after a few notes and then comes back. My theory is this and please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's an Osc sync patch with osc 2 constantly having it's pitch oscillated by an LFO. I'm assuming that's what makes that nice phat sort of flanging/phasing sound. The problem (I think) with the patch in the micro is that eventually the LFO brings back the pitch of osc 2 to the point of it no longer being detuned from osc 1 and when that happens, the sound loses it's distinct character that makes it so phat to begin with.

I've always prided myself with being a pretty good programmer and being able to emulate almost anything I hear on CDs sound-wise but this one has me stumped. Anyhelp would be much appreciated. I also know for a fact that originally, Eddie used an OB-8 to make this sound. Thanks for the help.

Eric

Re: OT: help with synth sound design

Isn't that sound layered (unison) guitar and keyboard?

Ernie

Only for the solo/bridge. Otherwise I'm sure it's just a straight-up synth.

It's done with a hard sync sweep in Unison.

You can do this sound pretty well in Omnisphere.... ;-)

If you link the sync to your mod wheel, you can limit its range and 'play' it, so that it never reaches the pitch of the oscillator...
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Thanks Eric and Joris. I figured it was a sync patch but do you have any suggestions for keeping the 2nd osc pitch from ever zeroing again? I understand that maybe I could use the mod wheel to manual sweep the pitch but it's just not what I'm wanting to do just because it would be hard to continually do this smoothly throughout the whole song. I was really just wanting to use an LFO which sounds great until in resolves the tuning of the swept osc back to zero.

On a side note, you dont need to plug Omnisphere to me Eric. That bad bot is MINE the day it come out. I'm just looking for a way to do this with the hardware I have right now. Thatnks,

Eric

Maybe I am not understanding what you want, but could you maybe use a pitch envelope on the one SYC OSC and have the sustain not come all the way down (thus keeping the detune)? Something like that?
    Brian

P.S. Maybe also route velocity to the pitch envelope if ya really want to pile it on . That works pretty well with OSC hard sync.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thanks Brian, that's exactly what I'd like to be able to do but maybe it just cant be done with the hardware I have. I keep trying to mess with the Micro but it just doesnt have the options. My AN1x is behindan entire PA in the band trailer so I'll have to wait till we unload this Thursday to start trying it. Thanks though. I need to start focusing my energies elsewhere anyway.

Go Back to forum