• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 Upgrade Issue

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2 Upgrade - I can't load instruments with Studio.

I have searched the entire site for answers for a setup like I use, but no joy.

PC (not Mac)
    XP Pro (SP2)
    GPO (latest updates)
    JABB (latest updates)
    Garritan Studio 2.0
    Kontakt 2 (just installed/registered for both GPO and JABB)
    Overture 3.5 SE (came with libraries, not Finale or any other notation sw)
    BIAB 2004 (updated)
    Power Tracks Pro 8 (updated)

Now when I am in Studio and try to load a .studio file or an individual instrument, I get the error message saying I need to upgrade my copy (of Kontakt?) to load the new patches.

I am not interested in purchasing Finale or any other notation software, the included notation software was fine for what I do.

How do I get the instruments loaded so that I can get back to arranging? Is there an Overture 4.0 SE download or something that works with the new Kontakt player?

Thanks for your help - I'm stuck until I get answers.

ah.clem
    Last edited by ah.clem; 06-01-2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: More descriptive title

Re: Kontakt 2 Upgrade - I can't load instruments with Studio.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem View Post
    I have searched the entire site for answers for a setup like I use, but no joy.

PC (not Mac)
    XP Pro (SP2)
    GPO (latest updates)
    JABB (latest updates)
    Garritan Studio 2.0
    Kontakt 2 (just installed/registered for both GPO and JABB)
    Overture 3.5 SE (came with libraries, not Finale or any other notation sw)
    BIAB 2004 (updated)
    Power Tracks Pro 8 (updated)

Now when I am in Studio and try to load a .studio file or an individual instrument, I get the error message saying I need to upgrade my copy (of Kontakt?) to load the new patches.

I am not interested in purchasing Finale or any other notation software, the included notation software was fine for what I do.

How do I get the instruments loaded so that I can get back to arranging? Is there an Overture 4.0 SE download or something that works with the new Kontakt player?

Thanks for your help - I'm stuck until I get answers.

ah.clem
    Hi ah.clem,

Welcome to the board.

As Jon mentioned, KP2 doesn't require the Studio interface. Instead of using Studio preset files, you can save a multi patch. The main reason to keep the KP1 version of GPO around is to preserve your existing arrangements. KP2 files are not backwards-compatible, and you'd need to remake all of your instrument assignments and templates. The reasons to upgrade to KP2 however include enhanced and updated programming in the instruments and the ability to use multiple libraries within one instance of the program which conserves system resources.

I can confirm that Overture SE 3.5 does not handle VST and you'll need to download and use the Maple MIDI workaround Jon suggested.

Overture 4 does handle VST, and offhand I believe the SE version of it might as well, however Ove4SE is not distributed with Garritan Libraries, and I don't think there is a download of it available. There is, however, a trial version of Overture 4, and your copy of Overture 3.5 SE entitles you to a reduced cost upgrade to the full version of Ove4.

Best,
    Reegs

Re: Kontakt 2 Upgrade Issue

OK, thanks for the advice.

ah.clem

I have the same problem with K2 GPO and Studio.
    PC
    XP Home (SP2)
    GPO (latest updates)
    Garritan Studio 2.0
    Kontakt 2 (just installed/registered for GPO)
    Overture 4
    MidiYoke and Maple (free)

Thanks for the advice,
    AlexBG

I finally got it going using the Maple drivers. I did experience some weirdness in trying to get sound, though. I started JABB/Kontakt2 first, loaded the instruments I wanted to use, started my sequencer and set the output to (IIRC) Maple Output 1 - there were 4 Maple outputs. I then set the Kontakt player MIDI prefs to Maple Input 1. I expected to hear sound directly, as I've used this type of software (mostly) successfully in the past, but heard nothing. I spent a frustrating 1.5 hours trying everything I could think of, searching Google, etc. Finally, in an effort to get some work accomplished, I set the Kontakt2 output to a VST synth I have loaded (so that the Kontakt Player was just a pass thru), and I got *both* the VST synth and the Kontakt2 Player output. I then switched back to Maple 1 and got only the Kontakt2 Player. I've not tried this again, I've been doing my work on my laptop - when I have the patience I will try to sort this all out on the desktop and if it is not working correctly I will dump all the updates and reload everything as it was.

One suggestion you might find useful - on Sunday (and maybe Wednesday) evenings there is a live "chat" with Garritan and others available via the Northern Sounds forum. It is helpful if you can wait until one of those times for an answer. Look on this message board for the particulars.

ah.clem

Go Back to forum