• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT- Nice gig ... nice strad.

Share/Bookmark

Cool OT- Nice gig ... nice strad.

Filled in on drums last night for a friend and her Country Pop band. I'm not too fond of Country but I like to play as many genre's as possible within my abilities naturally.
    To make a short story long(er), I found myself enjoying the musicians, the crowd and having a yeehaw time on the drums. Nope, didn't wear a Cowboy hat nor boots (god, what a thought!)
    It turns out me friend had to hire a fill in bassist at the last moment and she was worried that he wouldn't know the songs but brother could this guy play and we immediately jelled together and had a blast! However, the best part of the band was the fiddle player (are they called "fiddleists"? or "fiddlesticks? ). His fiddle was patched through some sort of midi system using and electric fiddle and some sort of interface. Guess what violin sound he was triggering? Yup, darn tootin', Garritan Solo Strad. Man, did it sound unbelievable through the system and how well he knew how to control the sounds. I don't think I've ever heard someone play fiddle that well.
    I will be filling in next Saturday and a few private parties during the summer. Hope she hires the bassist and fiddle player again!
    Styxx

Re: OT- Nice gig ... nice strad.

As a violinist myself, I've actually been wondering whether this would work. I may need to add a MIDI violin to my wish list.

I have a friend who has a MIDI cello. Maybe I should invite him over and have him try it out with the Gofriller.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Yeah, the cello! Next time I see this person I'll ask if he owns it and if not turn him on to it.
    Dan, I really had no time to check out his set up.
    Styxx

I wish some manufacturer currently made a classy looking keytar that I could use to trigger strad and cello. I just started using these live in my church's worship services, and they are just so wonderful. They make me want to get out from behind the piano rig though.

Yes, I realize I just said "keytar" and "classy" in the same sentence. What can I say? I want the impossible! Well, piano black with understated lines and no led's would be a start!

Go Back to forum