• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best sound card?

Share/Bookmark

Best sound card?

I'm talking performance wise for GPO. All I have is on-board sound from SounMAX. Which would be best?

Thanks in advance.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

Re: Best sound card?

Wow, that's a pretty general question, why not ask what's the best beer?

On the serious side tho, you might want to narrow down a few parameters such as:
    - what interface do you want, PCI, USB, Firewire
    - how many Ins and Outs do you want
    - how much can you afford for this?
    This is just for music right, or do you want to use it for games also?

This might help to us steer you to what's best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by elcabong View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty general question, why not ask what's the best beer?

On the serious side tho, you might want to narrow down a few parameters such as:
    - what interface do you want, PCI, USB, Firewire
    - how many Ins and Outs do you want
    - how much can you afford for this?
    This is just for music right, or do you want to use it for games also?

This might help to us steer you to what's best for you.

Yeah I know Its VERY general. I would guess pci. I didn't even know you can use a USB port for sound card perse. for both and games mostly music.
    Chef Marco Teti
    www.TheSwordLord.com
    (Fine Replicated swords)

I would recommend you check out sweetwater.com, they have a very large selection of audio interfaces. It's hard to say which would work best for you. I can give you my limited experience.

I would steer clear of the EMU0404 (PCI) if you also want to play games. I originally purchased this card and had a lot of problems. It would constantly lock up when attempting to change sample rates (and other times) and it didn't work at all with some games. Maybe there was a problem in my system, but I certainly tried everything to resolve it before giving up.

The M-audio Audiophile 192 looks like a nice PCI solution, though I have never owned one. I've heard the drivers are mature, which is important.

I actually bought a Creative X-FI Elite Pro which is absolutely fantastic for gaming. I thought it worked quite well for music, but that view is controversial. Some people absolutely hate anything that Creative makes and says that they're not "pro-audio." But for me, it handles gaming and pro-audio seamlessly. I thought it worked better switching to USB for MIDI (my keyboard has a USB interface) rather than the provided MIDI interface, but that could be just my system or preference.

If you're willing to look at Firewire, the Presonus Firebox has been getting rave reviews. My PC's motherboard has Firewire built in so I got the interface basically for free.

Overall, there are so many solutions out there, someone much more knowledgable than me needs to advise you.

Try this link for some add'l advise: tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Superb_Tenor View Post
    I'm talking performance wise for GPO. All I have is on-board sound from SounMAX. Which would be best?

Thanks in advance.
    This question has been asked a few times. The following link is for one of the discussions here which might be helpful.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60201

If you are talking 'performance wise' then it would be better to avoid the so called 'consumer' cards such as the 'Sound Blaster' and to go for a card dedicated to audio such as the M-Audio 192 which is what I use. The 2496 is a less expensive version and is very good. If you want something for both games and music with on-board gaming sounds then the pro audio cards won't be of much help.

You will find quite a few passionate sound card debates on the Sonar forums. Try a search there.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I also have the Audiophile 192 and have never had a problem with it. (Knock on wood!) However, I do not use my DAW for gaming purposes so I can't speak to it's abilities for that use.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Can you hear the windows sounds trough your pro-soundcards? So, games will be work too. Yep, not all the "5.1, EAX" and all that special things supposed to enhance the sound for games, but if you are happy with a normal stereo output, i dont see the problem. My childs sometimes use the computer to play some games, and they sound ok trough my dsp2000 that use the same envy chipsets than some maudio.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    If you are talking 'performance wise' then it would be better to avoid the so called 'consumer' cards such as the 'Sound Blaster' and to go for a card dedicated to audio such as the M-Audio 192 which is what I use. The 2496 is a less expensive version and is very good.
    I bought the M-Audio 2496 a few years ago as an emergency backup soundcard, (I was working on a project) and I have kept using it ever since.
    For professional sound applications, it's great....especially if you consider it's $100 price tag!
    For GPO, there should'nt be a hitch, assuming you have the asio drivers properly installed and utilized and you don't have any hardware compatibility issues.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

Quote Originally Posted by BenBotkin View Post
    I bought the M-Audio 2496 a few years ago as an emergency backup soundcard, (I was working on a project) and I have kept using it ever since.
    For professional sound applications, it's great....especially if you consider it's $100 price tag!
    For GPO, there should'nt be a hitch, assuming you have the asio drivers properly installed and utilized and you don't have any hardware compatibility issues.
    Agreed. I have a 2496 as well. The 192 gives you more audio outputs, but I personally don't have a need for more than a stereo pair.

Steve Winkler

I would recommend Motu as well. If you are set on firewire the Motu 8 pre may be a unit to look into. I had past experience with PreSonus and changed over to Motu. Mic pres on the Motu are far above many (IMHO).
    Styxx

Go Back to forum