• Register
  • Help

Topic: New tune: The Civil Servant

Share/Bookmark

New tune: The Civil Servant

This tune for Paquachuck Orchestra features some noodling around with the JABB bass clarinet in an unusual context (viola, cello, bass, muted banjo, piano, cymbal, triangle, 2 gongs, 2 drums). It's intended as a brief character sketch.

A sort of jawbone tremolo manifests once in a while in the clarinet--am not certain where it's coming from--haven't had time to explore it in detail. I get a kick out of the low register on this instrument. It gives pretty good honk.

Cheers!
    Bob
    behind the scenes at:
    http://myspace.com/paquachuck

Re: New tune: The Civil Servant

Wow, what a clumsy "oaf" you've sketched. Very effective writing to project your image within the listener's mind.

The bass clarinet is a great and quirky instrument. As you said, "honks" in the lower registers and "quacks" in the highs - a great range as well.

The "odd" sound you reference works well within the context of your object of interest. I don't think I've actually heard anything like this before in the Listening Room.

Good work - very fun.!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Many thanks for the kind words, Michael! Very glad you enjoyed it!

I agree that the wobbly note happens to fit the scheme of the sketch, but can imagine how it would be very frustrating elsewhere. It's focused on the F above middle C on my keyboard. Bad sample, maybe? Or an artifact of a processed sample? Can't imagine why such a wobbler would purposely be left among relatively stable pitches. I could do a workaround, but it would be very tedious indeed--certainly not worth the effort for a demo-quality piece.

Cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow, what a clumsy "oaf" you've sketched. Very effective writing to project your image within the listener's mind.

The bass clarinet is a great and quirky instrument. As you said, "honks" in the lower registers and "quacks" in the highs - a great range as well.

The "odd" sound you reference works well within the contact of your object of interest. I don't think I've actually heard anything like this before in the Listening Room.

Good work - very fun.!

Michael
    Bob
    behind the scenes at:
    http://myspace.com/paquachuck

Fascinating piece, Bob -- what a great choice of ensemble;
    and as a character sketch, I was just rolling, listening to it... lol.

Not sure what that "wobble" is. I think the first thing I might
    consider is where the clarinet player was last night.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Unusual setting, but the most original on this forum. Intriguing. Ambtious project! And I loved it.

Raymond

Go Back to forum