• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale/Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Finale/Sibelius

Which one and why?

What do you like most about Finale or Sibelius?

what do you not like most about Finale or Sibelius?

Re: Finale/Sibelius

To summarise a thousand and one times this has been discussed.

Sibelius edges it for ease of use.

Both produce perfectly acceptable scores for the vast majority of music styles.

Finale has the edge with graphic scores.

Finale handles slurs better than Sibelius.

Sibelius hosts VSTs Finale doesn't.

Sibelius is more future proof than Finale.

Sibelius is slightly more expensive than Finale.

Finale produces annual purchaseable upgrades Sibelius one every 18 to 24 months.

Swings and roundabouts with Sibelius slightly in the lead.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Finale offers much more control over engraving, allowing one to tweak practically everything in notation, enabling perfect looking scores. The ease-of-use of Finale has improved considerably over the past 4 years.

David

Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic View Post
    Finale offers much more control over engraving, allowing one to tweak practically everything in notation, enabling perfect looking scores.
    David
    Actually I would slightly disagree with that. I think that Finale allows more control over specific sorts of score, namely graphically based ones. Neither program will enable perfect looking scores. For that you have to use SCORE and there are still some Publishers that will only accept music engraved in SCORE. However, for the vast majority of people both Sibelius and Finale will get the job done.

I would suggest trying a demo of both and see which suits you. Also, if you intend to work with other people, find out what they use, in case you need to be compatible. for example, in the UK if you want to work on films then you need to use Sibelius if you have to choose one or the other). If you want to work on films in LA, you either need to learn both equally, or be prepared only to be offered 50% of the work.

D

this question always stirs a giant debate that ends inconclusively and you will not get the definitive answer you are looking for. They are both fine programs. You can read their list of features yourself to find out what each one does and doesn't do. At the end of the day, it will come down to personal preference towards the way the program work flows. The only way for you to find out which one you will like is to try them both out. There are clearly people that love Finale and say it can do everything, and people that love Sibelius and say it can do everything. And there are people that use both because they know that neither program can actually do everything but they want to be able to do everything and are willing to own and learn both programs. Confused yet? Good. But this discussion never goes anywhere. They're both great programs and will satisfy your needs most likely. Try them out, decide by how you feel when you use the programs.

or if you know you are going to work with other people and they tend to use one or the other, then go that way. It will be easier to interact with them and you'll have someone to ask questions too.

good luck
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

is SCORE still available? For some reason I thought it was not produced anymore.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

you can actually import wave files into finale now and add parts to it. I dont think any other program will do this, that was the determining factor for me

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h View Post
    you can actually import wave files into finale now and add parts to it. I dont think any other program will do this, that was the determining factor for me
    Harmony Assistant can do that since years ago, also apply fx to wav data, edit it, and convert your score to a wav track inside the score, displaying it or not. Additionaly it can apply fx to any note/staff on the score, all this using it internal soundbase. If you use external VSTis, wave files can be imported and edited without problems too.
    I have the impression that it can do most of things that Finale/Sibelius do (maybe with more work, i dont know), because the comments of users of that programs. It has a sui-generi way of work and interface maybe, but is very powerfull, and affordable.

Just an user of that nice program.
    Marcelo Colina

I think, also, it is somewhat dependent on the user as to doing what you need to do with whatever tools you have available. I use Finale because that's what was out there when I needed, or thought I needed, a notation program capable of providing files ready for printing for some book projects I was involved with. As it turned out, I wound up submitting the files done from Encore and they worked fine and were used in all 8 of the books. From what I can tell, both Finale and Sibelius are excellent choices and either should suit you for a long time. JMO
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Daryl's suggestion of trying out the demos is probably your best bet. I've used Finale since the early 90s and it's improved dramatically since then. Because of that I've stuck with it and have had little reason to change. HOWEVER, Sibelius is a great program as well so definitely try the demos of both and decide for yourself.

I haven't heard a thing about Score in years. I used it along with Finale back in my Hal Leonard days (early 90s). From what I understand it's still a DOS based program. Score's a great program, but it's expensive and easy to forget how to use if you don't use it every day.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum