• Register
  • Help

Topic: 8-core and EXS are a BAD Team !

Share/Bookmark

8-core and EXS are a BAD Team !

Its hard to believe but I discovered that the exs does work better on 1 core than on 8 cores.

Step 1: I use an 8 core Mac Pro (early 2008) with OS X 10.5.3 and Logic 8.0.2. With the Software MacPilot 3.0.4 I've deactivated 7 cores. After a newstart the mac pro runs only with 1 core

Step 2: That fact that only 1 core is active is represented in logics intern performance window and the os x Activity Monitor. The real bummer is that I can achieve to run stable much more multitimbral voices of EXS than I can with 8 cores active. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

On the other hand: When I run a song with 8 cores active the logic Intern performance shows great activity on all 8 cores while the activity monitor shows only 103 % and the CPU-Meters show low activity. That seems a contradiction but confirms tha BAD use of 8 cores:

This phenomenon has been succsessfully replicated by other users. Go ahaed and try by yourselfe ! You won't like what you see
    Frustrating isn't it !?
    Logic Pro 7.2 / G5 Dual

Re: 8-core and EXS are a BAD Team !

The EXS24 is NOT multi-timbral. Please use the proper terminology.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    The EXS24 is NOT multi-timbral. Please use the proper terminology.
    Ok the EXS is not mulititimbral (though Logic Pro is)
    I don't know whats your point ? What is the propper term to explain others in a practic way what I mean. Polyphony is not the propper term. Multitimbral comes next to it. What is your suggestion for a better term (instead of just critizising my terminology) please ?
    Logic Pro 7.2 / G5 Dual

Quote Originally Posted by guayalex View Post
    Ok the EXS is not mulititimbral (though Logic Pro is)
    I don't know whats your point ? What is the propper term to explain others in a practic way what I mean. Polyphony is not the propper term. Multitimbral comes next to it. What is your suggestion for a better term (instead of just critizising my terminology) please ?
    Do you mean multi-channel (if you opened it up in multi-channel instead of mono or stereo)?

Quote Originally Posted by ArmenJC View Post
    Do you mean multi-channel (if you opened it up in multi-channel instead of mono or stereo)?
    Hey, well the discussion is old know of course. But thanks for getting back to it anyway. What I meant is not multichannel. But the point ist that it takes extremeley much more power if one has lets say 64 EXS-Instances with one voice each vs 1 EXS Instance playing 64 voices. The 64 EXS-Instances Simulate what in the old days of SOUND EXPANDERS has been called "multitimral mode" whereass one EXS-Instance playing 64 voices simulate what in the old days of sound expanders has been called "polyphonic mode". I use those terme I grew up with. Allthough I understood that allthough Logics EXS behaves like a multitimbral syntheziser it isn't really multitimbral whereass the Kontakt REALLY is multitimbral. I understood that.

I used or created that term "multitimbral EXS Performance" to explain my point in the simplest way. In my topic it made sense to use that term because there seem not to be another word to describe what I mean with the terms "multitimbral exs-performance" vs "polyphonic exs performance" Sorry for the headache I caused to you and me and anyone else
    Logic Pro 7.2 / G5 Dual

Aside from the terminology and back to the software utilizing 8 core architecture, you will find these types of deficiencies occur more often than not. Most software development pre-dates the latest and greatest in hardware by a long shot. The software has to be written to accommodate CPU power, RAM, GPU, etc. This doesn't happen overnight and much weighs on the user base. How many people running Logic Pro (or whatever Pro app) are on 8 core, Dual or single G5 or G4 CPUs? Rewriting software for a limited user base isn't cost effective and may sometimes have a negative effect on the larger user base.

As far as RAM goes most SPEC tests will pretty much conclude that anything over 8 GB is a waste. Right now anyway.

This is why is good to visit sites like Bare Feats, make some assessments from the software makers minimum system requirements and in this case, visit an Apple store, fire up Logic on the 8-core Mac Pro and perhaps make relative performance checks on other machines while you're there. I recently made two trips and spent a few hours in an Apple store, primarily working with Logic Pro 8, downloaded some MIDI files I knew, changed instruments and made comparisons.

In general figure 2-3 software upgrades (not updates) before the software catches up to where you are today on hardware and then, of course, it's time to consider a new computer.

All things considered, I am still amazed at how well my old G4 dual 800 with 1.5 GB of ram does with Logic 7. True I have to do some rendering to audio occasionally and only get to here the good reverb and effects in the final off-line bounce. Right now I would be happy to get my hands on a used dual G5.

Go Back to forum