• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: "Conquered II"

Share/Bookmark

"Conquered II"

http://www.box.net/shared/9j4uk5x4wo

"Conquered II"
    (2nd try)
    I composed this in 1958 as part of my requirements to get a BM in Theory/Composition. It was done the old fashioned way, with paper and pencil. The original name was "Concord" but that means consonance so I renamed it "Conquered" which seems more fitting. I have loved revamping it with all of this new technology. I ran it through Cubase Studio 4 as a learning project. Danny Williams has been invaluable as a mentor and keeping me going. The brass chorale should be softer and the ending should fade but that's my next lesson.

sos

Re: "Conquered II"

Steve,

When I click on your link, I go to Box.net but it says "there are no shared folders found" or something to that effect. Is there a setting you can tweak so we can hear the piece?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

The same here....
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Paul & Gunther:

There is no fool like an old fool. I thought I had made an mp3 of the orchestra piece but it turned out to be piano only, so I'm frantically trying to redo and reload. Wish me luck and check later.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Steve, I just listened to your piece so it is up and working now. You sure showed a lot of self control for the young whippersnapper you were at the time this was composed. (I would of thought there would be a lot more trombone in this.)
    It must be great for you to hear this rendering turn out so well. All the instruments, panning, balance,etc. sound really good to me. You must be learning some new tricks! (and learning them well)
    I don't know enough to comment on the composition, I enjoyed hearing it and while listening I was imagining it as the soundtrack in a dark private eye type of film.
    I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. Did you import your score into Finale and then into Cubase for this? Am I correct in thinking this was done in notation?
    However you achivieved this, Steve, it sure turned out great (and sounds pretty modern for being 50 years old) Thanks for posting this, John

John:
    I do everything as a notation score in Finale. I made an audio file and a midi file and put them both into Cubase. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it but it worked for me. I exported an audio file from Cubase and then turned it into an mp3.
    I must confess that when I originally did this and the school orchestra played it, my comp instructor said it sounded like a drum and bugle corps piece. I had been writing for the football band for three years then. I have since learned that one violin does NOT equal one trumpet (duh) so I "de-brassed" it a bit.
    Melodically, it is pseudo 12 tone but harmonically it is "seat of the pants."
    Thanks for the kind words.

Steve

BTW: I grew up in Bloomington/Normal IL. Are you anywhere near that area?

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I just don't hear drum and bugle corps in this. Did it have a lot more percussion originally? I was going to mention the limited usage of percussion after I first listened.
    Yes, Decatur is just a little over 40 miles due south of Bloomington/Normal, right down 51. They have a saying around here that if you're in Bloomington, that's as close to normal as you're gonna get. My wife is an alumni of ISU (go Redbirds!)
    Steve, now I've tracked you from Illinois to Alabama to Washington. I think you've made a move in the right direction, especially concerning the climate. Right now, it is horribly muggy here and we have bad storms almost daily. Great place to grow corn, though. Regards, John

Thumbs up Re: "Conquered II"

Steve,

You always blow me away, man!

I remember you modestly mentioning this piece during one of our conversations... and here it is, just brilliant stuff! I can hear the professional "Sample style" throughout this, especially when you use just a hint of some of your impeccably-voiced jazz chords (love 'em in the strings). This also conjured up some of those old Outer Limits episodes, especially with your woodwinds -- always great, modern underpinning soundtracks in those -- the Dominic Frontiere stuff (which this even pre-dates by a little). Especially considering your age at the time you wrote this... can't say enough!!

Cubase is obviously going to work out just great for you, just as I had thought. This version of your "oldie" proves it.

Danny

Hi Steve,

I listened to it again, and I particularly liked your harmonizations and orchestration. It may have been 'seat of your pants', but I guess that indicates a great ear. I'm sure this rendering provided a better sense of the music than the school orchestra could. This is very impressive, especially as a student piece.

Regards,

Jack

Steve:

Finally, something I can whistle after listening............lol

Seriously, your orchestral rendering has improved by leaps
    and bounds. This piece sounds absolutely great..........

As I listened, I thought it would be a fantastic score for
    cinematic purposes. It has so much drama in it and the
    instrumentation lends it self so well to a "movie" score.

BRAVO, Steve

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast