• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which Vienna Instruments Libraries for Rock/Punk/Pop?

Share/Bookmark

Which Vienna Instruments Libraries for Rock/Punk/Pop?

So, I recently purchased the Vienna Chamber Strings standard library for a rock/punk project I am working on. I have been quite impressed with this library and now want to upgrade to the extended library.

With the current VSL promotion going on (buy 5 standard libraries, get 1 extended library free) it makes more long-term financial sense for me to purchase 4 more standard libraries and upgrade the Chamber Strings for free --- as opposed to paying $900 or so for the upgrade.

So, I am wondering which libraries you folks recommend. I do not really do much orchestration per se --- Most of my projects are rock/punk/pop oriented. Which libraries do you folks think would work well in that context? Which should I pass over?

Thanks in advance,

NER

Re: Which Vienna Instruments Libraries for Rock/Punk/Pop?

It is not the library, it is just how do you play with it!

You can get great results with GPO, EWQLSO, Kirk`s libraries, Peter Siedlaczek`s and so on.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I agree to a certain extent --- but some libraries are most definitely better suited to particular circumstances than others. For instance, I own the EWQLSO Gold samples and while they no doubt sound nice, they really do not work particularly well for rock pieces --- there is simply to much reverb/ambiance built into the samples to make it sound like they were played in a similar setting with the rock band.

So checkout Platinum, GPO, Kirk`s and Peter`s libraries.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Well, given the fact that I definitely want the VSL Chamber Strings extended library and that VSL is currently offering a free extended library for buying standard libraries, I am really interested in getting more VSL libraries.

So, I am just trying to find out which VSL standard libraries people think are most worthwhile and/or best suited for rock/pop/punk music.

Quote Originally Posted by noexitrecords View Post
    Well, given the fact that I definitely want the VSL Chamber Strings extended library and that VSL is currently offering a free extended library for buying standard libraries, I am really interested in getting more VSL libraries.
    I didn't hear about this sale, are you sure about that.

It's true one can make great music with all available libraries but you will find a lot more amazing demos on the VSL website than anywhere else. So having a good library does count.

The chamber strings are one of my favourite. I don't know about the extended content thou.

I must make a comment here.....

It seems odd to me that you would choose a product line such as VSL that is firmly directed toward classical orchestration.
    Many would say it represents the ultimate achievement in that genre.

Aside from the Special Edition, the other libraries such as the one you purchased are basically way overkill for the style of music you are doing.
    This is not to say you can't use them; but why?
    There are far more affordable libraries (Way more!) that would suit nicely and moreover unless you have the skill level you will never be able to utilize them to their full potential.

In fact, if I was to purchase a VSL library for that genre it would be the Special Edition. It's a superb product and covers everything you would ever need, as far as orchestral sounds go anyway.

Having the best library does not mean you get the best results.
    VSL products are really aimed at semi to pro users who are well versed in both composition and arrangement. The releases are staggering in their contents, the sheer list of articulations alone is almost overwhelming.

Now. You may have these skills but again, for the style you are focused on, I would look at other products.

IF by chance you are purchasing VSL for future orchestral writting then fine, it makes sense. IF you have the skills.

If not, grab a copy of GPO from Garritan or Kirk Hunter's Emerald release.
    Both will do the job nicely.

Best of luck
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by noexitrecords View Post
    I'm no expert but you should consider getting the solo strings edition for layering on top of chamber strings ...and for solo passages obviously.

Appassionata seem to be the best strings right now but I'm not sure how it would fit in the style of music you're into.

I don't think Platinum would fit well for these style either. I think Strings Essential would fit well. KH would probably fit well too.

It might be a good idea to ask on the VSL website if appassionata would be good for you or about other library.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    I must make a comment here.....

It seems odd to me that you would choose a product line such as VSL that is firmly directed toward classical orchestration.
    Many would say it represents the ultimate achievement in that genre.

Aside from the Special Edition, the other libraries such as the one you purchased are basically way overkill for the style of music you are doing.
    This is not to say you can't use them; but why?
    There are far more affordable libraries (Way more!) that would suit nicely and moreover unless you have the skill level you will never be able to utilize them to their full potential.

In fact, if I was to purchase a VSL library for that genre it would be the Special Edition. It's a superb product and covers everything you would ever need, as far as orchestral sounds go anyway.

Having the best library does not mean you get the best results.
    VSL products are really aimed at semi to pro users who are well versed in both composition and arrangement. The releases are staggering in their contents, the sheer list of articulations alone is almost overwhelming.

Now. You may have these skills but again, for the style you are focused on, I would look at other products.

IF by chance you are purchasing VSL for future orchestral writting then fine, it makes sense. IF you have the skills.

If not, grab a copy of GPO from Garritan or Kirk Hunter's Emerald release.
    Both will do the job nicely.

Best of luck
    While I understand your comment, I must disagree on several levels.

First, I feel the need to point out that I am not new to the world of sampling or orchestration. I did not go from having never played a sample to purchasing VSL libraries overnight. I started out with GPO a number of years ago, progressed to EWQLSO Gold, and am now moving on to VSL. I also own several WIVI instruments for brass. I say this not to show how much money I have spent over the years, but to show that I have spent time investigating sample libraries, learning how to use them, and slowly moving on to a collection that can achieve what I want it to achieve. You mention several times that someone needs to have "skill" to use VSL properly. I can't say whether I have the proper level of "skill" to justify the expenditure on VSL but I can tell you that I have been much happier with the results I can achieve with VSL's chamber strings than with any other string library I have worked with.

Second, I do not agree with you that the types of genres I produce and work with necessarily merit a cheaper sample library. I can tell you that, in my experience, many of the less expensive libraries suffer from problems that make them not particularly useful in the rock/punk/pop context. For instance, EWQLSO Gold has too much built in reverb; GPO doesn't contain any harsh samples and doesn't really have a gritty, hard feel; etc... etc... I could go on and on. The point is that just because its "rock" or "pop" doesn't mean that cheaper libraries are "good enough." In fact, I have often found the opposite --- EWQLSO Gold is "good enough" if I want a Hollywood film score sound, but not workable in a rock/pop song; GPO is great to do a mock-up of a classical piece, but not really there for a hard hitting, distortion driven song.

At any rate, I appreciate your comments and hope that this short response clarifies my position.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    I'm no expert but you should consider getting the solo strings edition for layering on top of chamber strings ...and for solo passages obviously.

Appassionata seem to be the best strings right now but I'm not sure how it would fit in the style of music you're into.

I don't think Platinum would fit well for these style either. I think Strings Essential would fit well. KH would probably fit well too.

It might be a good idea to ask on the VSL website if appassionata would be good for you or about other library.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that solo strings would likely be useful.

And, yeah, you are probably right --- I should ask on the VSL website. Duh, why didn't I think of that?

Go Back to forum