• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Mental Health Hotline

Share/Bookmark
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: OT: Mental Health Hotline

Maybe I'm just getting old but man, this almost kind of bugs me. Especially in a community of artists, you are bound to hit a lot of nerves with this. I dont see this as much different than making jokes about people with physical handicaps. Sorry, not trying to stir the pot but maybe this should occur to you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    I'm pretty laid back - I mean, you really gotta use some effort to truly offend me - but mental health is my real sticking point. It's something that runs in my family, and that it's taken seriously is very important to me. You don't mock cancer patients because it's a well known and documented disease - mental illness is no different, it's just not something that gets talked about.

Or maybe I'm just an old man, too

Jon
    No, you're quite right, it's not talked about. There is a stigma about saying you have a mental illness, whereas physical illnesses attract only sympathy. Even amongst mental health professionals there is little understanding that mental illnesses really are just that - illnesses. Most of the doctors, psychiatrists, counsellors, etc that we've dealt with, whilst they can tell us, in words, that Zoe is the victim of an illness, then treat her as though she has chosen to be abnormal, and should be able to just switch it off.

Once I would probably have laughed jokes like this one, but now I see that they promote a very superficial, 'cartoonish' understanding of mental illness. When you've sat with someone for hours just to stop them killing themselves, or watched someone vomit for a straight day following an overdose, it kind of takes the fun out of belittling their conditions.
    David

Mental illness is not considered an "illness" in our society. Insurance companies don't treat it as an illness, and neither does the general public. Perhaps this goes back to the days when the brain and what went on inside it were considered a "black box." Today we know the brain is an organ the same way that the heart, liver, pancreas, and other organs are.

Mental illness is at its basic level an imbalance of brain chemistry. Modern drugs like SSRIs and Psychotropics help moderate mental illness, but they don't cure it. Some patients can lead a perfectly normal life while medicated, and for some it's a struggle, even with medication.

Keith W.

My sincerest apologies if I have offended you.

Something to keep in mind later...

Inappropriate, I now realize...
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Daniel, thank you for your apology. I'm sure we all
    misstep occasionally in our efforts at humor; so
    certainly there is no offense taken by any, I'm sure.

In a way, I'm glad you posted this. It highlights
    a regrettable and pervasive shortcoming in our culture
    in its failure to recognize how serious and how very real
    mental illnesses are.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
    My sincerest apologies if I have offended you.
    None taken here - I only take offence when it's meant, and then not if I can help it.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Daniel, thank you for your apology. I'm sure we all
    misstep occasionally in our efforts at humor; so
    certainly there is no offense taken by any, I'm sure.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

+1. I know that you didnt mean it to be a mean spirited event and the good Lord knows that I have had many laughs at the less fortunate or different many times in my life. And to that degree, I'm still far from perfect. It just struck me this time as I have dealt with, off and on again, anxiety and deppression both and, in the depths of either, life can really suck. I remember that years ago on NS there was an extended thread about depression and I was amazed at the out-pouring of empathy and admittance to the existence of these illnesses in this community. I know I have a little crazy in me and I just figured it's the curse that comes along with such great talent . In all seriosness though, my counselor does see my own personal situation with anxiety that way because, in a creative mind, you have a much better ability to paint the pictures of doom in your mind as opposed to a person with little imagination or creativity. Just my 2 cents. Overall, I'm glad this topic came up. Perhaps some others will benefit from seeing it. Peace.

Eric

Kudos to everyone here who expressed their views appropriately and sensitively. Well done to Daniel for recognising that it might not have been the best of ideas, although obviously presented with the best of intentions.

Just playing devil's advocate - but maybe the original intention of this was to make a statement about those ridiculously impersonal menu systems which do nothing to further customer relations ?

Go Back to forum