• Register
  • Help

Topic: KP2 issues

Share/Bookmark

KP2 issues on Mac

Excuse me asking a technical question in this forum, but I have posted this elsewhere without any responses, so ....

I have just upgraded from Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) to 10.5.3 (Leopard), and reinstalled all that I need to reinstall, including Garritan programs and the Kontakt 2.2.4 player.

Now I find that none of my Garritan libraries are accessible from either the KP2 player (which just shows a large blank space in its browser, or from (the full) Kontakt 3, which tells me 'this patch is encrypted and cannot be loaded unless the respective Library is registered properly.

Service Centre informs me that everything is active and authorised.

The libraries I have are: Gofriller, Strad, JABB, GPO

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS I have replaced the 'Content' preference file as advised by N.I.
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Re: KP2 issues

Hello, I'm not familiar with the Kontakt Player on a Mac platform. One thing that is critical with Windows is that for the VST plug-ins to function, the dll files all have to be directed to, or copied into wherever these are located on your computer. These are all called RTA's with Mac and someone else would have to help you with that, but you might want to check that they were installed.
    One other thing you might want to do is edit the title of this to something like "KP2 issues on Mac" to attract the right members to this post. Good luck! John

thanks John ... I'm familiar with the right locations for VST plugins on a Mac, but thanks anyway ... anyone else?
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

I am having the same issue as the OP (spooky timing!) except on Win XP. I post here, not wanting to hijack a thread but keen to see a solution as to what appears to be a common problem between the two OS's.
    I used the original GPO player that came with my initial purchase of GPO for a few years and then upgraded successfully to KP2 on my old desltop DAW system. I now want to run the latest incarnation of KP2 on my new Laptop DAW and get the same display and comment as the OP. I have tried to change the option of where to locate the .nks files from the menu options but the encryption error remains. I am obviously missing something because an older version of KP2 worked on my old desktop DAW.
    If it is helpful towards a solution, my GPO sound files were on an external drive (with no success with the update) and even after moving all the files from the external drive to the same folder as the install on my internal drive the error persisted. Thanks in advance to this inspiring group of users that are going to find the solution too this problem.

Hello Dave, and welcome to the board.

Are you using an administrator level account on the laptop? You'll need this for the registration tools to run properly.

Then, I recommend trying the following to get it working:
    1. Uninstall GPO from your laptop computer.
    2. Uninstall NI Service Center.
    3. Download the latest version of service center from the NI website. It's Version 2.0 now, and the interface is vastly improved.
    4. You should already have your KP2 serial number from your desktop install. Recall that this is not the same number as the one you use to unlock the KP1 (original) GPO. If you've misplaced this, check your emails. Alternatively, click the "What's This" link on the GPO KP2 Serial item in your Native Instruments User Area under updates.
    5. From your user account login on the Native Instruments website, click on Updates, then proceed to download the 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 KP2 update installers, available on the GPO and GPO KP2 update page pulldown menus.
    6. Run the 2.2.3 installer. You'll be prompted for a library location at one point. Stick to default for now. If asked to install or run Service Center, decline.
    7. Once installation is complete, pull out your original GPO CDs/DVD and copy the library .nks monolith files to the library directory. Offhand, I think it's C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\GPO Library or something similar.
    8. Install the Native Instruments Service Center 2.0.2 package.
    9. Restart (optional, but it doesn't hurt).
    10. Run Service Center, and you should be prompted for your KP2 serial. Input and activate GPO.
    11. Run the 2.2.4 KP2 installer, with the same options you've selected for the 2.2.3 package. Again, disable all of its service center references.
    12. With luck, GPO should run properly. You can then, if you wish, move the entire GPO Library folder from its default directory to your external, and then adjust the path in KP2 from the Info tab on GPO.

Best of luck,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by slavedave View Post
    I am having the same issue as the OP (spooky timing!) except on Win XP. I post here, not wanting to hijack a thread but keen to see a solution as to what appears to be a common problem between the two OS's.
    I used the original GPO player that came with my initial purchase of GPO for a few years and then upgraded successfully to KP2 on my old desltop DAW system. I now want to run the latest incarnation of KP2 on my new Laptop DAW and get the same display and comment as the OP. I have tried to change the option of where to locate the .nks files from the menu options but the encryption error remains. I am obviously missing something because an older version of KP2 worked on my old desktop DAW.
    If it is helpful towards a solution, my GPO sound files were on an external drive (with no success with the update) and even after moving all the files from the external drive to the same folder as the install on my internal drive the error persisted. Thanks in advance to this inspiring group of users that are going to find the solution too this problem.

Reegs,
    Without having had a chance to carry out your comprehensive instructions, I wanted to post up a thanks in advance. Will post again when I have GPO creating the lovely noises that it does!

Dear Reegs

Just to clarify: are you saying that one needs to downgrade from K2Player 2.1.4 to 2.1.3 in order to reinstall GPO?

Well, yet again this resource comes up trumps. Reegs, your step by step guide worked first time so thank you so much for posting.
    For anyone who is interested, the sequence of how you load the versions and choosing the default options must be vital. I had tried the updates in various combinations to no avail. Reeg is the man! I hadn't played with GPO for about 8-10 months and now am reminded of just how lovely it sounds. Combined with my new Steinway (thanks Gary) I am really hoping to work on some tunes again. Even my nephew went out and bought GPO last week after I had played him a piece I had started over a year ago.
    Thanks again.
    Slán agus bannocht!!

Happy to help, Dave. Glad to hear you were able to get it working.

Henry, you might not have to downgrade, but I'm not 100% sure. I know this method works. The 2.2.3 installer contains the Kontakt Player 2 installer and has a fairly large filesize. The 2.2.4 was first released as a bugfix patch for the KP2 libraries and has a smaller filesize. I can't figure out if NI intensely optimized their code or what, but something isn't included in 2.2.4.

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum