• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lunch With Bernadette

Share/Bookmark

Lunch With Bernadette

Hi everyone,

A jazz combo tune I wrote a couple weeks ago, using all JABB (well, with just a couple snare rolls borrowed from GPO). I haven't posted any "trad jazz" combo stuff, so I thought I'd try something a little different and give it a shot.

This is LUNCH WITH BERNADETTE (I don't even know a Bernadette, and my wife would kill me if I had lunch with one anyway... I just thought the title sounded, ummmm..."jazzy").

Trumpet/Tenor Sax/Trombone
    Piano/Bass/Drums

I'm usually not drawn to the multiple version thing, but I did it anyway. My apologies.

1) In the Studio http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/LWBStudio.mp3

2) Verve Records, 1957 http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/LWBVerve.mp3

3) An Eventful Night at the 5-Spot (a cautionary tale) http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/LWB5Spot.mp3

Thanks for listening!

Danny

Re: Lunch With Bernadette

Danny:
    As usual, it's outstanding. The timbre you're getting with the GJBB horns, especially in the first cut, is amazing. I must confess that due to my aging ears, I didn't understand the subliminal messages in the 3rd cut. Are you putting in the jazz solos? If so, WOW!

Steve

Thanks, Steve... I might have some of that dialogue stuff a little low in volume; just experimenting with a new program I'll tell you about (Adobe Audition). The second cut was, of course, a "mono" with some "vinyl wear -in" sounds to make it sound like an old LP (hopefully) -- just fun stuff.

Thanks for the comments on the improv solos; I always make them up and play them in myself to make it as authentically jazz as I can. I do some editing on 'em of course! I really work on those horn sounds, too, like we've talked about just briefly before.

As always, thanks for your support! Much, much appreciated!

Danny

Hi Danny,

As usual, great sounds !

I would have thought that you play in ALL the parts. How do you handle the piano and the drum parts ?

Best Regards,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jacksiru View Post
    Hi Danny,

As usual, great sounds !

I would have thought that you play in ALL the parts. How do you handle the piano and the drum parts ?

Best Regards,

Jack
    Hi Jack,

Thanks for the kind comments!

I do play in all the instruments "live" (piano, drums included), then edit away on what's needed. This kind of stuff notated or step-sequenenced just doesn't work for me as far as getting a good "feel". So I really work on my "two finger" drum chops!

Thanks again for listening...

Danny

Great job in capturing the feel of a live jazz combo. I really liked the atmosphere you created at the beginning of the tenor solo. I kept thinking back to the Coltrane recordings (e.g. Blue Trane) with Curtis Fuller and Lee Morgan. The piano comping was very appropriate, too. It sounds to me like the bass player and drummer might have been spending a little extra time at the bar, though If you could tighten up their interaction, which is really well done btw, I think the whole performance would rise to another level. You've achieved a marvelously relaxed and loose feel which provides the necessary room for the rest of the ensemble, but to my ears, you might have overdone it a bit. I really liked the ending, too, just like real players would do it. Superb. Sadly, JABB doesn't provide much variation in attacks which is really obvious, particularly in the trombone solo.

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post

Great job in capturing the feel of a live jazz combo. I really liked the atmosphere you created at the beginning of the tenor solo. I kept thinking back to the Coltrane recordings (e.g. Blue Trane) with Curtis Fuller and Lee Morgan. The piano comping was very appropriate, too. It sounds to me like the bass player and drummer might have been spending a little extra time at the bar, though If you could tighten up their interaction, which is really well done btw, I think the whole performance would rise to another level. You've achieved a marvelously relaxed and loose feel which provides the necessary room for the rest of the ensemble, but to my ears, you might have overdone it a bit. I really liked the ending, too, just like real players would do it. Superb. Sadly, JABB doesn't provide much variation in attacks which is really obvious, particularly in the trombone solo.

Paul,

I certainly appreciate your comments, especially since combo jazz is an area I don't consider much of a strength of mine. I'm in total agreement with the bass/drums -- I really didn't pay as close attention to bass drum/bass line meshing as I could have.

The bar scene, of course, was meant totally tongue-in-cheek and a little "over-the-top". As Steve S. mentioned, the dialogue maybe should have been mixed just a touch hotter to clarify the silly little plot in there, but I was still experimenting with my new Adobe Audition settings on this. It was a lot of fun, though!

Just a bare hint of a comparison with anything Coltrane is, well, pretty incredible, even when just producing here what is admittedly pretty much fascimiles of possible improv performances. It's nice to hear, though... the genius of that man shall remain unapproached for ages (I've always loved Naima, my Coltrane fav).

Thanks for you comments, Paul! Glad you enjoyed this.

Danny

Very cool, Danny. Loved everything about the piece
    and the solos were really great. Sounds real and has
    a real groove.

BRAVO, DDW

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is great! Excellent writing & rendering. Nice work with the "live" playing - thats a nice rhythm section. Really nice feel. Excellent!

Chris

Excellent writing once again Dan. I admire you're sense of melody is strong my friend. Nice voicings throughout.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast