• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: which orchestral library for my needs?

Share/Bookmark

which orchestral library for my needs?

Hello

I am looking for a sample library that fits my needs --

I have an entire 500gb Sata drive dedicated for it - i do not wish to spread it out over more than one drive (I have another drive dedicated to pianos, another dedicated to drums, and another dedicated to recording already) --

i am looking for something that has alot of different playing styles (i am not familiar with all of the technical names of them nor do i care -- ) -- i want something that i can fade in vibrato, for instance -- or change to a trill patch... etc... keyswitch or modwheel...

and then also, i want a room sound AND a close up sound... and when i say close up, i mean CLOSE. I mean like, almost sounding BAD close

anyway, ill throw that out there and see what you all say, and discuss.

thanks for your time!

Jae

Thumbs up Re: which orchestral library for my needs?

VSL Vienna SE. Completely dry samples, great performance legato interval sampling, nice flexibility in their VI player and some neat downloadable upgrades to the basic library (for a nominal fee).

I use VSL Vienna SE and Appassionata Strings quite a bit along with EWQLSO Platinum. For really intimate and close sounding samples, I choose VSL. For epic, film score type stuff, I go with EWQLSO.

Re: which orchestral library for my needs?

ok, ill check out some demos...

price isnt TOO much of an issue, but i prolly dont want to spend over 750...

I don't know if you've seen the Kirk Hunter stuff yet, but it's extremely affordable for what you get. You can get everything he has for about $460, which equals about 65GB, and it's downloadable! If you choose not to download it's a bit more and comes on a hard drive(only meant to help transport, as it's only a 5400rpm drive). Or you can pick and choose what you want one piece at a time.

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/purchase.html#download

Great value for money, IMO. I recommend the Concert Strings as a good starter if you go for individual pieces.

Another option for comparison that would be in your price range would be East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold with the XP expansion pack. I think that might require a dongle now, but I'm not sure. Would be comparable and has multiple microphone perspectives actually recorded(as in, not using a reverb to emulate). The Kirk Hunter stuff is mostly dry with impulse responses of the recording rooms included in the patches.

Brent

Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post
    I think that might require a dongle now, but I'm not sure. Would be comparable and has multiple microphone perspectives actually recorded(as in, not using a reverb to emulate). The Kirk Hunter stuff is mostly dry with impulse responses of the recording rooms included in the patches.
    It will require a dongle when it becomes available in Play, EW's new interface, but in Kontakt 2/3 or NI's player that it comes with, you do not need an iLock.

The multiple Mic's are only available in Platinum, which is a bit more expensive than gold.
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Thanks, I didn't know if it had went to Play yet or not. I have the Silver edition of the orchestra, but it's the Kompakt version.

Brent

Hello koolkeys!!! (dang youre everywhere)

umm yeah i wouldnt be able to go with gold -- i hear they are very "roomy" and the platinum would be the only way to go... and its about 300 bucks over my budget. I would consider though, if they had REALLY dry samples -- which ive heard isnt exactly the case.

I dont totally mind having a dongle either -- as much as i hate them...

anyway i have never seen the kirk hunter stuff before, ill check it out, thanks

(one thing i like about kontakt libs is the ability to use the scripting in kontakt.... nice randomize things in there)

Well you won't be disappointed in the Kirk Hunter stuff if you like scripting. It uses it very well.

I think the EWQLSO Gold has close mics, doesn't it? Or maybe it's just the Platinum? I guess I didn't check. I only have the Silver and it's medium perspective.

The KH stuff is mostly dry, although I think a couple of the sets may be more "wet" than the others. Although I don't think anything is drenched in ambience, just a bit of room sound. But mostly it's dry, if not all of it.

Brent

+1 for kirk hunter.

Great value and great sound too. It also doesn't sound quite exactly like every other EWQL orch mockup that has become so common sounding as to be blase if you ask me.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Quote Originally Posted by koolkeys View Post

I think the EWQLSO Gold has close mics, doesn't it? Or maybe it's just the Platinum?
    yeah, just platinum...

Go Back to forum