• Register
  • Help

Topic: TBO delays within the sample - is this accurate?

Share/Bookmark

TBO delays within the sample - is this accurate?

I've written sampletekk about this, and since they're in a recording project, I haven't recieved an "official" response yet. But anyway, here's the set up:

TBO's samples have anywhere from 0ms to 20ms delay within the sample. (delay meaning space before actual sound) I haven't checked if it's digital silence, or perhaps the waveform is too small for me to see in the editor (adobe audition), but there definitely is a space of very low volume before that actual piano sound comes in. I was wondering if this had anything to do with actual piano mechanics. Perhaps there is a delay between when the key passes the trigger point (whatever it's called on a real piano) and the time when the hammer actually strikes the string? Also, I'm not sure why this varies from key to key. I haven't checked differences between samples within the same key (different velocity layers), which would definitely be strange if they had different delay times.

But anyway, I'm just curious as to why this is so, as I don't have a technical understanding of the mechanics of the piano. Or atleast not to the extent that would explain this. The delay seems very strange to me especially considering that asio latency is a unknown. So, even if a delay exists in real piano mechanics, hard printing the delay into the sample doesn't compensate it accurately because unkown amount of latency will be added on top of that. Also, it seems to defeat the purpose of having low latency since I could have 5ms asio latency, but if 20ms got added on that, it'd be 25ms, which is quite substantial. Also strangest of all is that the delay times vary from key to key.. so I could be playing mechanically perfect 16ths, but the timing would be different depending on which key because their delay times are different.

I'm particularly being sensitive about this because this is my primary way of practicing.. or let me correct that. My ONLY way of practicing, and so if there is strangeness hardwired into it, I may be learning some extremely bad habits to compensate for this, such as playing everything 20ms ahead of time! (a 16th at bpm 170 is 88ms!)

Re: TBO delays within the sample - is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by kensuguro View Post
    I've written sampletekk about this, and since they're in a recording project, I haven't recieved an "official" response yet. But anyway, here's the set up:

TBO's samples have anywhere from 0ms to 20ms delay within the sample. (delay meaning space before actual sound) I haven't checked if it's digital silence, or perhaps the waveform is too small for me to see in the editor (adobe audition), but there definitely is a space of very low volume before that actual piano sound comes in. I was wondering if this had anything to do with actual piano mechanics. Perhaps there is a delay between when the key passes the trigger point (whatever it's called on a real piano) and the time when the hammer actually strikes the string? Also, I'm not sure why this varies from key to key. I haven't checked differences between samples within the same key (different velocity layers), which would definitely be strange if they had different delay times.

But anyway, I'm just curious as to why this is so, as I don't have a technical understanding of the mechanics of the piano. Or atleast not to the extent that would explain this. The delay seems very strange to me especially considering that asio latency is a unknown. So, even if a delay exists in real piano mechanics, hard printing the delay into the sample doesn't compensate it accurately because unkown amount of latency will be added on top of that. Also, it seems to defeat the purpose of having low latency since I could have 5ms asio latency, but if 20ms got added on that, it'd be 25ms, which is quite substantial. Also strangest of all is that the delay times vary from key to key.. so I could be playing mechanically perfect 16ths, but the timing would be different depending on which key because their delay times are different.

I'm particularly being sensitive about this because this is my primary way of practicing.. or let me correct that. My ONLY way of practicing, and so if there is strangeness hardwired into it, I may be learning some extremely bad habits to compensate for this, such as playing everything 20ms ahead of time! (a 16th at bpm 170 is 88ms!)
    Hi.

No, there are no digital silence in the samples other then a fade in that's there to assure that the samples start at zero. Otherwise you wil get a "click" when triggering them. That fadein is only a couple of samples long.
    When editing pianosamples, there's always a question about where to put the starting point. I set that point where the mechanic starts to get audiable. You can set it where the hammer hits the string, but I think that there's a lot added to the tone if you keep some mechanics.
    Can you please mail me again about this, so I can check a sample that you can hear this in?
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Go Back to forum