• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Topic: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Smile Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Hi Everyone, I just joined this forum and I am fairly new to the world of sample libraries as opposed to recording live musicians. I am based in Cape Town, South Africa and have been working as a composer/producer for the last 5 years. I specialize in African, World music as well as orchestral composition.

    Anyway, I've realized that it's time to invest in the best, most realistic sounding orchestral software for everything; including, brass, w.wind, perc, choir, strings, etc.

    I have dabbled with the Kontakt sounds but found them very artificial sounding.

    It would be very helpful to find out everyones favorite software/sample libraries in term of getting the most realistic holywood quality sounds.

    I look forward to hearing you replies.

    Thanks very much,

    Daniel

    macbook pro / logic 8 / protools 7.4 / kontakt

  2. #2

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    *sigh* Here we go again. Every time someone asks this question, everybody recommends something different, and by the time the thread has ended, everything has been recommended at least once.

    Personally I think the library is less important than the composition. With that disclaimer in mind, I'd suggest that for the type of sound you're looking for, you might want to start with East West/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, maybe supplemented with Kirk Hunter or Project SAM libraries. But listen to all the demos you can and decide for yourself.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

    "It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

  3. #3

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    *sigh* Here we go again. Every time someone asks this question, everybody recommends something different, and by the time the thread has ended, everything has been recommended at least once.

    Personally I think the library is less important than the composition. With that disclaimer in mind, I'd suggest that for the type of sound you're looking for, you might want to start with East West/Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra, maybe supplemented with Kirk Hunter or Project SAM libraries. But listen to all the demos you can and decide for yourself.
    Thanks for the input Dan. I've listened to many of the demos and I'll listened to examples of music composed on VSL and Mirolav many of which are very impressive but I'm curious to find out from fellow composers what they prefer.

  4. #4

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Have you done a search on this topic? It has been covered over...and over....and over....and........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

    2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    274

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    The difficulty is that there really is not a "best". In part it depends on how much money you are able to spend, your total available computer resources, not to mention your own composing style(s) and skill(s).

    For example: if all you have is one older computer, perhaps GPO might be your best option. If you have several computers (or a couple new ones that have a 64 bit O/S), and deep financial pockets, maybe some of the full-fledged VSL libraries would be possible (SE could be a good option if you have more limited resources). EWQLSO Gold could be a good budget option, along with Kirk Hunter, etc., etc., etc. If you listen to the GPO demos, many have achieved good results using it (it is, perhaps, the ultimate budget option).

    Each person will have their own preferences based on composing style, and each library has its strengths and weaknesses. To give examples of weaknesses: EWQLSO Gold samples have the reverb of the hall built into the samples, and can sound too wet if seeking an intimate sound, while VSL lacks a separate second violin section. Many would suggest if doing "large sound/Hollywood" EWQLSO Platinum is the way to go, while if a more "classical" sound VSL is preferred.

    To summarize: in the end it comes down first to compositional skill and experience, and second available budget. The "answers" are very different if one is looking to spend no more than $500, or willing to pay $10,000. Similarly if one has never done much orchestral scoring (from your post, it sounds like you have) one doesn't normally start with $5,000 of VSL libraries.

    HTH

    Jim

  6. #6

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    BTW, that is "poll" not "pole."
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

    www.jayasher.com

  7. #7

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Quote Originally Posted by noldar12 View Post
    The difficulty is that there really is not a "best". In part it depends on how much money you are able to spend, your total available computer resources, not to mention your own composing style(s) and skill(s).

    For example: if all you have is one older computer, perhaps GPO might be your best option. If you have several computers (or a couple new ones that have a 64 bit O/S), and deep financial pockets, maybe some of the full-fledged VSL libraries would be possible (SE could be a good option if you have more limited resources). EWQLSO Gold could be a good budget option, along with Kirk Hunter, etc., etc., etc. If you listen to the GPO demos, many have achieved good results using it (it is, perhaps, the ultimate budget option).

    Each person will have their own preferences based on composing style, and each library has its strengths and weaknesses. To give examples of weaknesses: EWQLSO Gold samples have the reverb of the hall built into the samples, and can sound too wet if seeking an intimate sound, while VSL lacks a separate second violin section. Many would suggest if doing "large sound/Hollywood" EWQLSO Platinum is the way to go, while if a more "classical" sound VSL is preferred.

    To summarize: in the end it comes down first to compositional skill and experience, and second available budget. The "answers" are very different if one is looking to spend no more than $500, or willing to pay $10,000. Similarly if one has never done much orchestral scoring (from your post, it sounds like you have) one doesn't normally start with $5,000 of VSL libraries.

    HTH

    Jim
    Hi Jim,

    Thanks a lot for your response. That was very helpful. I'm going to keep looking into the different packages out there.

    I'm using a macbook pro and I'm willing upgrade to faster tower with more ram, more external drives, etc.
    I dont have budget for a four computer set up or anything like that but I would like to invest in quality - Maybe starting with something like VSL strings instead of the complete package for instance. I need to find out about the various compadability issues such as what hardware I need to use the software etc.

    By the way, you spoke of "SE". What does that stand for?

    What do think about Sonic Implants vs VSL and EWQLSO for strings and wood winds?

    It would be great to find an in-depth essay, summarizing the main differences between all the top libraries, such as user friendliness, price, wet/dry, etc. I'm probably being lazy and should probably do that myself

    Thanks again,

    Daniel

  8. #8

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Quote Originally Posted by eppelsauce View Post
    What do think about Sonic Implants vs VSL and EWQLSO for strings and wood winds?

    It would be great to find an in-depth essay, summarizing the main differences between all the top libraries, such as user friendliness, price, wet/dry, etc. I'm probably being lazy and should probably do that myself
    Your question has been answered many times already. If you take the excellent advice offered by one of the previous posters and use search in this forum, you will easily find the old threads.

    Henrik

  9. #9

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    Well dude from another continent.... like most of the other posts said there's a whole bunch of stuff out there... and yes it's very dependent on:
    A. Your komposition/ arrangement & programming skills... (building a musical phrase in all its complexity, all the articulations of the various instruments without loosing sight of the "BIG PICTURE")

    &
    B. Your BUdget

    Me writing is probably not much use to you but i will anyway just to give another opinion... I love VSL for its flexibility but all the sounds are too clean. They sound BIG but don't have that edge... They're austrian, so they are perfect...
    A dryer solution and cheaper is complete orchestra from Siedlazceck... he has that ruffness to be honest one should call it wrongness... some woodwinds and strings are a tiny bit out of tune and so the mix of those too is quite good...

    so anyway keep checking things out demoing around... I'm sure you will find your way... good luck.

    lioNel

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    274

    Re: Pole for Favorite Brass-String-W.Wind-Perc Software

    If you go to VSL's website, there is a separate section on VSL SE, as well as some posted demos.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •