• Register
  • Help

Topic: Software Distribution on HDD

Share/Bookmark

Question Software Distribution on HDD

Hey there,

I have a pretty simple question regarding the distribution of software, samples and VST's on a computer system.

Generally in the past I've had a primary drive and two other drives for storage and sample streaming. I know it's best to have this separation between one drive housing your OS and the other housing your audio.

My question is though, when using software synths, FX plugins, multitrack recording and sequencing software, is it best to have these on a secondary drive or is it generally fine to have them on your primary, the same drive as your OS?

I've gotten mixed answers from this question in the past. Some say it's fine, others say you should home nothing on your primary EXCEPT your OS.

My configuration is usually one raptor as primary, one for sample libraries and a SATA for storage and few other things.

Should I keep my applications, softsynths and plugs separate from my primary drive or will I encounter little performance difference?

Thanks,

oqtoe

Re: Software Distribution on HDD

Quote Originally Posted by oqtoe View Post
    My question is though, when using software synths, FX plugins, multitrack recording and sequencing software, is it best to have these on a secondary drive or is it generally fine to have them on your primary, the same drive as your OS?
    Apps should be on the same drive as the OS.

BTW-it's best not to decorate your posts. It's annoying to read and eventually no one will respond to you.

Yes, Apps should be on the "C" drive (C being O/S.) Sample libraries need to be split. But perhaps not all.
    The engine or program should go on "C" and the contents of the library should go on "D", or your sound library drive.

Audio tracks and so on should go on a seperate drive also.

For example.......

I recently got EWQLSO and as advised by Native Instruments I installed the program on my "C" drive but put the sound library on my "D" drive.
    This has always been my standard method and has served me well.

When you are installing these products there will generally be an option for what drive you wish to install the sound library to.
    NI certainly provides that. As do most others.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Decorate posts? I don't know what that means chap.

Go Back to forum