• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Changing hard drives how ???

Share/Bookmark

Changing hard drives how ???

Hi,

i'm purchasing a new PC in the next week and i need to find out how to transfare all the data from my old PCs hard drive to my new PCs hard drive. My current PC has two separate hard drives each of 120Gigs = 240Gigs, my new PCs hard drive will also have two separate hard drives this time of 250Gigs x 2 = 500Gigs. i'm assuming i would just burn all the HDD data to disc and then rip that data to the new hard drive, i could be wrong???

This is new for me as this is my first time in the process, could anyone comment on how this is done???

Thanks
    Musicmad

Re: Changing hard drives how ???

Buy, or borrow, an external USB drive. Copy everything to this, then copy back onto new machine. Job done and back up copy made as well.
    It will take forever copying onto DVD if youve got 240 Gb to copy

Do you have a home network setup? If not, does your old computer have a network port (the new one is almost guaranteed to have one). A $30 network hub, and use the "Files and Settings Transfer" wizard.

It is important to understand the difference between operating system, data and programs. Data you can transfer, programs need to be installed. The operating system should be set up first.

If you are buying the machine professionally, consider having the shop do the transfer for you. It will save headaches.

Also you might want to consider bigger drives if it is a matter of choice. The cost difference to double the size of those drives would be negligible.

What kind of files you want transfer?

If you work mainly making midi mockups, you will not need to transfer too much things, your project files, small if are only midi, and then install your sample lybraries.

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    What kind of files you want transfer?

If you work mainly making midi mockups, you will not need to transfer too much things, your project files, small if are only midi, and then install your sample lybraries.
    But if you're transferring lots of music (mp3/wav) or video files (avi/mpg), you'll be moving a lot of information.

(Don't forget to transfer your e-mails, address book, and bookmarks!)

Reegs

Save yourself a lot of pain and buy an external usb drive.

You can get a 500gb drive for around $150 these days. Copy all your
    data to it, connect it to the new computer, and copy everything onto
    your new computer.

Then you'll have it for extra storage, backups, etc.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Hey Musicmad!

One thing I'd suggest is buying an external hard drive "enclosure." The difference here is you take your old hard drive, fasten it into the enclosure, plug it into one of your USB ports and download whatever data you want into your new machine. These enclosures are cheap ($20 and up). I bought one a few months ago as I had several old hard drives lying around that I wanted to get old midi data from. It worked without a hitch. I also agree with what has been said earlier about picking up an additional 500 gig external hard drive for keeping all your music stuff on. I use an internal SATA 320 gig for all of my music files and plan on going external soon.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Buy, or borrow, an external USB drive. Copy everything to this, then copy back onto new machine. Job done and back up copy made as well.
    It will take forever copying onto DVD if youve got 240 Gb to copy
    Hi,

i would consider purchasing the USB external hard drive for future transfers of large data, but at present i only need to transfer 18.9Gb of data to my new PC. So i assume the DVD option for transfaring the data would be better???

what is the DVD process for transferring the data???

I assume that you've got a DVD drive that will write rather than one that will just read. If that is the case than use the writing software (or download some) to move the files onto the DVD then transfer the DVD to the other machine and read the data onto the hard drive.

Its just like any other disk.

I believe you can get a copy of Nero that will write the drives for you

Go Back to forum