• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT- Is this a silly question?

Share/Bookmark

OT- Is this a silly question?

Hello everybody in this whole wide world,

is it silly to launch the idea of making a piece "of all continents/countries" filled with musical folklore from your side of the world. So, maybe some mockup didgereedo from Australia, a Waltz form from Austria, Romanian rhythms, German hoempa (sorry Gunther), Swiss cheesy songs (with holes in them), the dance of the Herrings (Netherlands), Japanese, Chinese, Tasmanian ..... or making a CD with songs from everywhere with their local musical sound?

You grasp the idea?

Just an idea, which can be a very demanding undertaking........
    I thought about this looking at the replies and seeing that they are coming from almost everywhere on this globe.

Raymond

Re: OT- Is this a silly question?

There are 2 problems I can think of.

1. The incoherency between pieces. It will sound, at least, strange to combine a waltz, along with an african song... Even in separate tracks in the same CD. Aesthetic reasons, thus.

2. Each culture has much more than 1 song to show for their tradition. I'm Greek and I could come up with at least 3-4 examples of "traditional" music, or "world music", and I'm pretty sure that the same happens for most countries. You can either 'cheat' your way through and fake something, but if you're after more realistic results, or anyways more... supporting of the tradition results, then you might need more tracks from each country/area, so you might end up with 60 tracks instead of 10-15.

That said it's a very interesting idea indeed... (and the "you" above, is not refered to you, Raymond, but to anyone... as a general antonym)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post

You grasp the idea?

I believe I do, Raymond... Voices of the Planet perhaps?
    A collection of materials representing all of our unique cultures.

Silly? Heavens, no! I think it's a wonderful idea!

Raymond, one of my concerns is that, as we transition to a
    global society, we are losing our individual cultures... and that
    would be a very great loss, indeed.

This sounds like a very worthwhile project.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

The only problem I can see is that I despise my own cultural heritage. The folk roots I have to call on are bagpipes (dying cats and nails on a blackboard) and morris dancing (grown men wearing bells on their ankles and wearing handkerchiefs, whilst doing a very odd looking dance). On the 'high art' side I have Elgar, Vaughan Williams and a whole host of the 'cow pat' composers, whose pastoral style makes me want to throw up.

I think I'm an Austro/German born in the wrong country.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I think I'm an Austro/German born in the wrong country.
    Ever seen a Dutch Folk dance? Wooden shoes, folk costumes, not even a smile on the faces, .... bold headed mediaeval morons. Thank God that they don't play those elbow driven pipes.

I am Dutch, but born in the wrong universe............

Raymond

Have you heard "Please Hello" from Sondheim's Pacific Overtures? It combines U.S., British, Dutch, Russian and French styles, all from a Japanese perspective. Well, at least from a Japanese perspective from an American perspective. It's quite fun.

South and Northamerican folk is quite interesting if you look them from the "mix" perspective. There are folk music that is a combination of elements of the european folk music, african music and native american because that racial diffrences lived, and still live, together. So if you start with some of that music you can take some elements to travel far and still have cohesion. Pentatonical scales are so commonly used in the aborigens from southamerica, and beyond the diffrences, they have an echo in Asia. Candombe, by example is an example of a southamerican folk music that use strong african elements, ant the list continues. Even there are folk music that use rythmic from one, instruments from other, scales from other...
    So, with some smart research, interesting things can be done and with a good level of cohesion, imo.
    Marcelo Colina

Come to think of it, isn't this pretty much what popular music in America is today--an amalgam of styles from various cultures? European, African, Jewish, Latin and South American, Irish--even far eastern elements were introduced into our culture by the Beatles. So it's not silly at all.

You want silly? This is silly:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ed-arrest.html#

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    i thought popular music was repeating the same 4 chords for 3.5 minutes in every song?
    Yes, but we do it in styles from all cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustov Varbirski View Post
    Have you heard "Please Hello" from Sondheim's Pacific Overtures? It combines U.S., British, Dutch, Russian and French styles, all from a Japanese perspective. Well, at least from a Japanese perspective from an American perspective. It's quite fun.
    Agreed. Stephen Sondheim is amazing.

Here's a video of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfdDjrmNmls

Go Back to forum