• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Drive - Which is better (eSata or Firewire800)

Share/Bookmark

Sample Drive - Which is better (eSata or Firewire800)

I have 3 Lacie 500gb external sample drives. The drives are compatible and have cables for eSata, Firewire800, USB2, Firewire400 etc. etc. connections. Currently they have been running through USB2 connection.

I am planning on buying a PCI 4 port eSata card to rather have them connect through eSata.

I understood that eSata is faster than USB2 and Firewire800. But reading the description on the seller's website confused me:

It states the following:

--------------------

Four high speed Serial ATA interface ports, each supporting 1st generation Serial ATA data rates of 1.5Gbps

And then in the specs of it it says:

Product NameRAID5 eSATA 1.5Gbps External 4-Port PCI Card Product

TypeSATA RAID Controller Data Transfer RateUp to 150MBps

Ports4 x 7-pin Serial ATA/150 - External SATA

-------------------------------

So which is it? Is it 150bmps or 1.5Gps ? If it is only 150mbs then it is slower than a USB2 port.

Any advise ? What would be best connection for my external sample drives. I need something better than USB2.
    "‘The heights by men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight,
    but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night
    .’ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow."

Re: Sample Drive - Which is better (eSata or Firewire800)

eSATA currently is rated for 3.0 Gbit/sec, which is much faster than any single drive can transfer data. eSATA is very valuable for RAID arrays where you can aggregate the throughput of several disks.

FireWire 800 is 800 Mbit/sec.

Again, with a single drive, there really won't be any difference between the performance of these two interface technologies.

Hope this helps.

Keith Walls

I've seen this exact thread started somewher else... ...No surprise that you get good helpful answers here first...(this isnt one of them!)

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    wherever could you mean?!

Jon
    Yes. I have posted help on another forum for this. But completely hopeless. Over 20 reads, and only 1 post. And then I ask myself, "Am I the only person the world making use of external sample drives ?"

Just shows... NorthernSounds/ Garritan forum is the best! The best response with great help! So thank you guys.

My question now is still lingering on:

I was just told that the PCI Raid card with 4 eSata ports, is not what I should be, because I should not use RAID ? It seems that all the cards that have more than 2 eSata ports makes use of Raid.

Then I was told that it is seek time that I should be concerned about and not write time. But on the site description of my Lacie drive it said that with an eSata connection seek (write) times of less than 10ms can be achieved.

So I am still searching for an answer. Should I buy an PCI eSata card ? Or should I just buy a FireWire800 card ? Should I try to find a card that as 4 ports without RAID ?

A lot of questions still unanswered.

Please help :-)

eSATA has an advantage over the other interfaces. That is latency. This is the reason a 400 Mbps Firewire connection outperforms a 480 Mbps USB2 connection.

eSATA has the lowest latency. In addition to inherent latency, since the HDs themselves are an ATA interface so there is no protocol conversion required improving the efficiency further.

With a PCI card that supports RAID, the RAID should be optional. You should be able to use the card without it enabled. Check with the card manufacturer to be sure.

One other thing. How many available internal SATA ports do you have? There are extender cards that convert your internal SATA ports to eSATA. They are cheaper than a PCI eSATA controller.

AWESOME !!!

Thanks Guys. Then eSata is the way to go.
    Thank you for your help !!

Go Back to forum