• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: For Brass Lovers

Share/Bookmark

For Brass Lovers

Here is an arrangement I did for my Brass Sextet of a piece by Frescobaldi. I have a friend with a recording of E. Power Biggs and 2 trumpets playing it and he thought it would make a nice piece for our sextet.

It is called: Toccata Prima

For the engineers here: It is all done with Finale 2008 and KP2 - I did not manage the midi file allowing only KP2 and Finale to do their thing. I am using Compression (Pro) and Convolution (Cathedral Hall_Far).

Here is my arrangement of: Toccata Prima
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: For Brass Lovers

I'm still amazed when I hear these Finale renderings. I enjoyed this Toccata and imagine it would be effective played by your brass ensemble. I especially liked the last section. (not that it was over, I just happened to like the interplay at that point) Thanks for sharing this piece, John

Bill

I used to think that brass was just for some heavy accent work and the rest of the time they sat there and stayed quiet. I am slowly beginning to appreciate their intricacies and have decided to allow myself to find some enjoyment in them.

This is a fine arrangement and a fun little ride.

Well done

Ron

wrayer (Bill)

Excellent. I have a lot of the same feelings for this type of music that I do toward "Dixieland," I don't know which I enjoy more, listening to it or playing it. I would have to do some deep huffing and puffing after playing your bass trombone parts, but that goes with the territory. What fun!

Steve

Wonderful arrangement. As a brass lover, you have done amazing work on the trombones.

Cheers,

David

bigears, rolifer, sosmus and DeltaRomeo -

Thanks for listening. I wasn't aware of this piece unti the musicologist for our local classical channel (WCLV) brought it to my attention. He, by the way, is our bass trombonist. He said basically the same as you did, sosmus. This piece will take practice, but we found it very 'playable'. It is difficult, but you can get Finale to sound pretty convincing, bigears. I love the sound of the trombone (even though I am a trumpeter) so I pay particular attention to its part, DeltaRomeo. Many people, especially 18th and early 19th century composers thought the same about the brass, rolifer. It's not uncommon to have 300 measures of rest before playing 3 notes in a lot of classical, and early romantic music. But with the advent of valves and the lyric quality inherent in brass, we've come a long way baby!

Thanks all for listening.

Challenge #10 Winner

wrayer (Bill)

It's not uncommon to have 300 measures of rest before playing 3 notes in a lot of classical, and early romantic music.
    I am reminded of playing Beethoven's 5th, where the trombones do not play a note until the last (4th) movement. AARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! At least we didn't have to sit there counting rests like crazy.

Steve

Bill,

Ahhhh yes good old Frescobaldi, nice music to begin with and nice rendering to end up with. Great job putting it up on Finale and use of the Garritan library.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric View Post
    Bill,

Ahhhh yes good old Frescobaldi, nice music to begin with and nice rendering to end up with. Great job putting it up on Finale and use of the Garritan library.

Gary

www.garybricault.com
    Thanks for listening, Gary. It's interesting to note (no pun intended) that earlier music like this has an unique flavor in its use of modal harmonies. We often forget how exciting it can be when a tonal center loats from place to place.

Challenge #10 Winner

Really, really nice, Bill... reminds me of my playing days when I was in a brass quintet in SoCal. This is among my very favorite genres performance-wise.

The arrangement works really well, and the rendering job is very, very effective (no overcooked reverb, which is so tempting with Frescobaldi and brass). Really enjoyed listening to this; thanks for posting!

Danny

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast