• Register
  • Help

Topic: A question about basic use.

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

A question about basic use.

this is a basic question, maybe less than basic:

Since I am running on a less than ideal system, can I load just the voices I would like to add to my Finale / Kompakt plug-in setting to use just the instruments I need, without carrying overhead I won't use? I am assuming the plugin can access the sounds?

My needs (at the moment) are primarily for organ sounds, and some satb choral voicing (which, inexplicably, does not appear in the instruments list) to add to the library that came with the K2 plugin.

The goal is not to create perfect audio 'recordings,' but to create a usable demo of compositions that are eventually played by live musicians.

Mac G4 dual 1.42 ghz
    OSX 10.5.x
    2GB Ram
    plenty of hard drive space
    Last edited by passagio; 06-12-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: new info

Re: A question about basic use.

Unless you are writing full symphonic scores with individual tracks for every instrument, I don't think you have to worry about overhead. I've run as many as 20 tracks on a much lower-spec'ed computer than you have (1 processor, 750 meg ram) without problems.

Concerning the choral voicing - are you using the Finale version of GPO, or the full version? The Finale version does not have choral "instruments". And, if you want the chorus to actually sing the words you have written, then you're starting to look at a pretty high-end product, but it does work (sort of).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Concerning the choral voicing - are you using the Finale version of GPO, or the full version? The Finale version does not have choral "instruments". And, if you want the chorus to actually sing the words you have written, then you're starting to look at a pretty high-end product, but it does work (sort of).
    The Finale subset, not full GPO. If full GPO gave me a serviceable organ and minimally acceptable voices, I'd just buy that instead...with two kids in school, I'm not going to stop paying tuition to feed my music habit. I've seen the price tag on EW, and I'm not going there. No need for the 'choir' to sing my words, just give me a senza vibrato choral SATB split. My organ needs are a little more selection than the simple 'hauptwerk' in the Finale set.

My other option is to get Kontakt and convert some sf2 soundfonts, some of which have very nice organ characteristics (pick your own registrations) and some 'good enough' choral sounds.

Do a search on "sf2 pipe organ" and you will find an amazing selection of samples. One (I don't remember where I saw it) made a point of sampling a ton of registrations with the goal of being the most complete free organ sample set in the world. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you.
    I don't know where it falls in your price point (definitely cheaper than K2), is Garritan's new pipe organ product. Maybe worth checking out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Do a search on "sf2 pipe organ" and you will find an amazing selection of samples. One (I don't remember where I saw it) made a point of sampling a ton of registrations with the goal of being the most complete free organ sample set in the world.
    I've found at least three of these organs - one of which is 2.6 GB all by itself because of all the stops. So my search is really for choir voicing, and I guess that will likely be an sf2 conversion, since garritan for whatever reason has ommitted choirs (?!). GPO's lack of human voicing means I am likely to go with Kontakt 3.

I don't know where it falls in your price point (definitely cheaper than K2), is Garritan's new pipe organ product. Maybe worth checking out.
    Given what BU charges for tuition, my realistic price range is zero. But I will check under the sofa cushions and skip Starbaucks for a few months to get my capabilities up a little way.
    Last edited by passagio; 06-12-2008 at 01:49 PM. Reason: There is no reason. You seen TV news for the past 10 years?

Garritan is also coming out with a choir product, but I don't know what the time frame is for that.

BU? Butler? Bradley? Boston?

Banned

There is only one BU....Boston! (Unless you went to Bradley or Butler)

GPO + whatever choir they come out with (in 2009) will cost too much and come too late.
    Last edited by passagio; 06-12-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: When the most reliable news comes from jon Stewart and Steven Colbert, what is reason?

BU=Bournemouth University

Rock On!

Banned

The K3 library is decent, it has it's strengths and weaknesses - but in a way, it's no different than the bundled Garritan sounds in Finale. Sure it has some samples from VSL - but it's limited - and unless I've missed them, there are no choir samples either. I think for what you'd pay for Kontakt, you might be better off waiting, but like I say that depends on your needs, so may not be so cut and dry.
    I'm kind of hearing you and Rob on this. I have two pressing needs: organ and choir. The organ is the most important....haven't seen an official release of Garritan Pipe Organs, only announcements. I don't have a feeling for what GPO's (the orchestra GPO) organ capability sounds like - whether it would be enough for my needs. At least I would get some additional instrumentation along with the organ, but I'm OK with the finale set for now.

For choirs, I can always rip an mp3 from a soundfont player, then overlay it in Bias which is where I perform the final step - room ambience.

Go Back to forum