• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - "Salzedo" font

OT - "Salzedo" font

Hey all,

I'm working on a few pieces right now that have somewhat "lively" harp parts, but I'm having trouble with their notation in Finale. I've heard about a font called "Salzedo" that apparently contains a lot of useful harp notational symbols, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm uploading two images of the types of glissandos I want to use in my score. My only question is...what's the difference? If any harpists can shed some light on the differences in performance of the two glisses please help me out so I know which one is more appropriate to use. (Personally, I like the look of the first one much better )

Gliss #1 - http://www.box.net/shared/o6cnsa7ksc
    Gliss #2 - http://www.box.net/shared/xmdbjrrok4

Thanks all for your help!!

Re: OT - "Salzedo" font

If you haven't already, this would be a good question to post on the Finale forum....

and go to "online help" under "support."

I am sure you will get suitable help there.

I spent a while googling the font, but all references to it seem to point back to one site, and it wasn't there anymore. Possibly someone on the Finale forums will have it and be able to mail it to you (provided it was free of course).

The "Salzedo" font was a creation of Bill Duncan who passed away several years ago. His website is no longer up, but NPC Imaging is releasing his "Finale Productivity Pack" which includes his book and a CD-ROM including 22 fonts of his design. More info here.

It doesn't seem like the Salzedo font is available seperately, or if it is I'm totally missing it.

You can find a lot of harp notation symbols in the Toccata font, which you can download here.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks a lot for the help. For some reason I can't get the Toccata font to work in Finale...or even show up in the font list. I did check out the other site with the Finale Productivity set, and I'll probably end up purchasing that at some point, but since its not available yet...

Anyone else have any options? The publishers had to do this somehow...I've tried creating a SmartShape (no luck) as well as just using a slur (looks very bad). And anyone know the difference between how each is performed??

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by tptsareamazing View Post
    And anyone know the difference between how each is performed??
    Try posting that question over in the Garritan forum. Gary is a harp legend.

Wasn't Carlos Salzedo a harpist and composer way back in the 20th century?

Is the font named after him?

Yes. He also wrote "Modern Study of the Harp," an influential book which composers will find interesting and useful. He created special symbols for various harp techniques, which are included in Duncan's Salzedo font. (Most of them can also be found in Toccata, but it doesn't include special glissando symbols, for instance.)
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum