• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie

Share/Bookmark

I looking into setting up my own digital studio but I have no idea where to begin. I currently compose music for my brother in law for his amateur films. I use Sibelius 5 with Kontak player that comes with the program. I am needing to upgrade but honestly have no idea were to get started there are so many sound sample libraries and editing and sequencing software. I am need of any help or advice. Are there any books out there that might give me a good idea of where to get started. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Josh Stewart

Re: Newbie

This book might help even if it is not 100% up to date:

The Guide to Midi Orchestration by Paul Gilreath
    http://www.musicworks-atlanta.com/

There are some used copy ebay sometimes...

Also, using the search function of this forum will help a lot too.

Good luck!
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

All right - amature film scoring. Now we need to know your budget. The next question is PC or Mac? If you don't have a preference, and your budget supports it, Mac is often a better choice (but you will get many arguments, here).

If you go PC, you will need a sequencer - a lot of people around here use Sonar (incl. me), but many use Cubase. On Mac, the two biggies are Logic and Digital Performer. Logic jsut dropped their price to $500, which kicks DP in the butt. As impressed as I am by DP, I would look seriously at Logic if starting from scratch.

Sample libraries again come down to what you want to spend. Quite frankly, you could spend most of the rest of your amature composing career being happy with GPO, but again you will get plenty of arguments about that. As your budget increases, so do your options. There's Kirk Hunter, East/West, and VSL just for starters. You really won't go wrong with any of them. If you want world instruments, Bela D is a great place to start.

Let us know a little more about what you want to accomplish and how much you want to spend, and we should be able to narrow it down a but for you.

I currently own a MAC. I have considered purchasing Logic Pro... what are the sounds like on Logic Pro? I have considered purchasing GPO. HOw much different are the sounds on the one you purchase compared to the ones that come on Sibelius? I also so something on here where a guy used his GPO sounds on garage band and it sounded great. Right now that would be a cheaper option but if the sounds on Logic are good I think I would just like to purchase it. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    This book might help even if it is not 100% up to date:

The Guide to Midi Orchestration by Paul Gilreath
    http://www.musicworks-atlanta.com/

There are some used copy ebay sometimes...

Also, using the search function of this forum will help a lot too.

Good luck!
    Yes, I have this book and it's great! This is a must have!
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Go Back to forum