• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choosing the best hard drive ???

Share/Bookmark

Choosing the best hard drive ???

Hi
    when choosing a PC is it better to have two separate physical hard drives of say (250Gb x 2) or is it better to just have one physical hard drive of 500Gb?? would there be any extra benefit from either one of these options??

Musicmad

Re: Choosing the best hard drive ???

Hi Musicmad,

For samples and any sort of multimedia work, multiple drives are best. For starters they allow you to stream more samples from disk before encountering bottlenecking and allow you to separate you system drive from your sample drive. It's also much easier to swap in a bigger sample drive later while retaining your OS drive (none of the reformatting/reinstalling business).

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by musicmad View Post
    Hi
    when choosing a PC is it better to have two separate physical hard drives of say (250Gb x 2) or is it better to just have one physical hard drive of 500Gb?? would there be any extra benefit from either one of these options??

Musicmad
    No, always good to have 2, maybe even 3 since they are cheap these days.

If I may add something.
    Since you didn't mention internal or external drives, I'd throw out the comment that two internal drives on different controllers or channels will perform much better than two drives "chained" together on the same channel.

This probably applies more to ide drives where you can have a master/slave drive configuration on the same ide channel. I think my motherboard has two SATA channels but can support 4 SATA drives. I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that if I were to install two SATA drives on the same channel my performance wouldn't improve and may even go down since the bandwidth of that channel is now shared between two devices. Make sense?

If, however you're talking about external usb drives that may not be an issue. It's actually something I curious about.

Steve Winkler

The nice thing about 2 separate drives is that you can keep the OS drive separate from your data. Then if you ever get a virus or trojan or something that causes you to have to reinstall Windows, all your data is preserved. Take this from one who has lost all of his data in the past due to a virus.

Thanks for all your advice guys..

Cheers
    Musicmad

Go Back to forum