• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Couple of Jr. High Band Things

Share/Bookmark

A Couple of Jr. High Band Things

Some fun individual and collaborative projects in progress for the summer... and in the meantime I wait for word from publishers on some middle school band pieces I've submitted (a very tedious, patience-taxing process!). Thought I'd share just a couple of the things I'm awaiting word on (I have about seven things out). Just typical "Grade II" Junior High band fare (i.e. nothing very exciting!!)

These were done with a CMB/GPO combined set.

1. Outpost Andromeda
    Here's the mp3: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Andromeda.mp3
    Here's the score: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Andromeda.pdf

2. Procession of the Knights of Agincourt
    Here's the mp3: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Agincourt.mp3
    Here's the score: http://www.dannywilliamsmusic.com/Agincourt.pdf

Thanks for listening and any comments.

Danny

Re: A Couple of Jr. High Band Things

Hi, I just finished listening to the two pieces and I enjoyed hearing each of them. The names you have chosen for them seem very apt, from the quiet pulse of "Andromeda" to the marchlike "Agincourt". I can easily picture both of these in the Jr. High band setting and I would imagine the young musicians would enjoy performing them. The middle section of Agincourt seems to come along at the right time, in relief or contrast to the opening.
    Good work on these, and best of luck with them and the others! John (bigears)

Dan,

Very nice once again my friend. Kids would have fun working on and performing these pieces.

I love the titles. When I was in jr. high I always imagined a composer going around and naming pieces after apartment complexes or obscure street names and the like.

By the way I see a rogue tie in the alto sax part on the first page of the scoreof the Agincourt piece

Steve Winkler

Danny

I have tried a few times to compose for the youngsters. I think that I love 16ths, 32ths and fancy triplets too much to have any success in this genre. I hope to be able to do better so that when I do start teaching next year, that I can perhaps get a few pieces of mine performed before the year 2258, (which is when I become world famous).

As you said, there is nothing fancy about these, but they are both very solid pieces of music and should not only be fun for the students to perform, but will also teach them a bit about music. Sometimes the simple can be much more enlightening than the more difficult pieces. It takes a certain type of individual to be able to compose for this skill level and still show the possible diversity that music has.

For the first time since this class started, it is before midnight and my homework is done for the night. I needed a couple of hours to be able to listen to some music. The professors have said though, that it will get worse real soon.

As always Danny, your skills impress me and hopefully you will soon hear from the publishers.

Ron

Danny:
    Terrific material for your target bands. Your ending of Andromeda caught me off guard but I like surprises, especially good ones. I wish I could have been in your band when I was in school. I was raised on a lot of bad transcriptions so hearing this kind of original and fresh material for young bands is a real kick in the apple cider.

Steve

Most impressive writing, even for a Grade II Jr. High Band composition, I wouldn't call it typical. Its outstanding!

David

Very nice, appropriate music. I like them.

Those youngsters are very lucky to have someone like you around to write special material for them.

I wish you much luck in getting your music published, Mr. Danny. It needs to be heard by a wide audience.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

As always, very musical pieces and very enjoyable. Since you mentioned the ordeal of getting published, this might be an opportunity, if you're willing, to discuss the do's and don't of getting published - sort of a primer for the rest of us, if you will.

For example, I've been told that you only submit a piece to one publisher at a time, wait on their decision which can take 6-12 mos, and then re-submit to another if not selected, etc. I suppose that's for the benefit of the publishers so they won't be inundated with pieces, but it could take years to get a single piece published, given that formula, and you're playing the odds of submitting the right piece to the right company at the right time.

And anybody else who is published, please feel free to chime in.........
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post

For example, I've been told that you only submit a piece to one publisher at a time, wait on their decision which can take 6-12 mos, and then re-submit to another if not selected, etc. I suppose that's for the benefit of the publishers so they won't be inundated with pieces, but it could take years to get a single piece published, given that formula, and you're playing the odds of submitting the right piece to the right company at the right time.

And anybody else who is published, please feel free to chime in.........
    I've heard something similar. I have a couple friends who were trying to get something published and they were submitting to one publisher at a time. I have yet another friend who seems to have a relationship with a particular publisher and possibly gets a quicker turnaround because of past transactions. Maybe the key is to get a couple of things accepted and keep going back to the same publisher. I'd like to know about this as well.

What I've wondered about Danny though is if he's a kind of staff writer for a publishing company (maybe Hal Leonard or Warner Bros.)?

Maybe if someone out there does hold a staff writing position, can they submit original works with greater ease or is the process generally the same for everyone?

Steve Winkler

Danny:

Really great stuff here.

The rendering is superb and the orchestration (band score) is
    full of variety and sound musical ideas.

Love the percussion parts.

Thanks for posting these two gems and also the Pdf files.
    A wealth of good music here, danny.

BRAVO,

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast