• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can The Current iMac Handle GPO Or JABB

Share/Bookmark

Question Can The Current iMac Handle GPO Or JABB

I use Finale and Cubase SX, and am thinking of upgrading to the current iMac. Is there anyone out there who is running reasonably full GPO or JABB orchestras on any current iMac, WITHOUT MIDI PLAYBACK PROBLEMS. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Re: Can The Current iMac Handle GPO Or JABB

I changed to Mac from PC six months ago and have never regretted it.

I have a 24" iMac upgraded to 4 Meg, and have had no problems running very large sequences using Logic Pro 8. This handles GPO in multiple instances of Kontakt 2, also Logic's excellent player EXS24 which comes with hundreds of its own sounds. Many Mac users including myself believe that Macs produce a cleaner and more vivid sound than PC's.

Your choice. 2 Meg might be enough for your needs, but 1 Meg isn't.

Terry Dwyer

Smile Re: Can The Current iMac Handle GPO Or JABB

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    I changed to Mac from PC six months ago and have never regretted it.

I have a 24" iMac upgraded to 4 Meg, and have had no problems running very large sequences using Logic Pro 8. This handles GPO in multiple instances of Kontakt 2, also Logic's excellent player EXS24 which comes with hundreds of its own sounds. Many Mac users including myself believe that Macs produce a cleaner and more vivid sound than PC's.

Your choice. 2 Meg might be enough for your needs, but 1 Meg isn't.

Terry Dwyer
    Thank you for the very helpful comments, Terry.

I neglected to mention that I currently have the Power Mac G4 1 Ghz, with 1.5 GB RAM, and the last version of the original Kontakt Player. I use a fairly full GPO orchestra (about 3 instances of Kontakt 1), with medium density orchestration; For JABB, I use about 12 horns plus rhythm section (2 full instances of Kontakt 1), with medium to high density writing, a fair amount of articulations/dynamics/ etc., and up-tempo speeds. I have to convert several midi tracks to audio while arranging ... not good. But I love the Garritan Libraries.

Do you think the top-of-the-line i-Mac ... 3 GHz and 4 GB RAM ... can handle this type of midi writing without problems ?? I would really like to have the portability of the i-Mac (as opposed to the latest and greatest Power Mac Pro).

Also, can you tell me what GHz your i-Mac runs ??

Thanks again Terry.

Dave Webster

Quote Originally Posted by J David Webster View Post

Do you think the top-of-the-line i-Mac ... 3 GHz and 4 GB RAM ... can handle this type of midi writing without problems ?? I would really like to have the portability of the i-Mac (as opposed to the latest and greatest Power Mac Pro).

Also, can you tell me what GHz your i-Mac runs ??

Thanks again Terry.

Dave Webster
    Hi Dave,

I would hardly call the iMac portable; it is very heavy!

My iMac runs at 2.8 Ghz.

My biggest piece uses 26 separate instances of Kontakt2, each with a single instrument. I could use 16 tracks per instance, but this makes individual control harder, so I don't. Running this piece did cause Logic to stop, but then I noticed that I was running 5 unnecessary programs in the Dock, Shutting these down cured the problem.

It looks as if your pieces would give you no trouble with a similar set-up to mine. Go for it!

Terry

Smile Re: Can The Current iMac Handle GPO Or JABB

Thank you Jon for the excellent information and insights into your use of GPO and JABB. It was quite reassuring ... so I think I will go ahead and buy the i-Mac. Thanks again !!!! Dave

Thanks, Terry, for the additional information. It was extremely helpful. I agree the i-Mac is not a 'portable' computer. I'm retired, and I was thinking it would be much easier to load in my car to take with me on trips (versus the components and weight of the Power Mac Pro). Your comments, and suggestion to 'go for it' are 'right on the money' ... you've broken the log jam. I'm going to order one. Thanks very much Terry. Dave

Go Back to forum