• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help Please. Cubase SX3.11 and QT

Share/Bookmark

Help Please. Cubase SX3.11 and QT

Just got my new DAW from Sonica mostly reloaded. I have multiple projects to work on this weekend and I cant get Quicktime to work inside of SX3.11. I load a project, add a video track, load the video with thumbnails disabled and without automatically splitting off the audio, and then it appears that the video loads. It shows up in the track anyway. But then when I hit play, the video screen stays white or black or sometimes starts to play and then stops. Any ideas? I'm really getting backed into a corner here. Also, there are like almost no options for video in Cubase SX3.11. I mean, you can choose your player and that's about it. Also, if I hit "Full Screen" mode, my cursor disappears behing Cubase and I cant recover it without shutting everything down. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Help Please. Cubase SX3.11 and QT

I have not had this exact problem, but perhaps you have a more recent version of Quicktime on your new computer than Cubase supports? This has happened to me numerous times with other applications and QT. Last time it happened, it was not possible to uninstall a new quicktime and reinstall
    the old. Might have to start all again form a fresh install- unless someone else has some wisdom to drop.

Best,

Mark

I'm not in front of Cubase now, but you may need to go into Midi Devices>Video setup(or something very similar) and select Quicktime as the format, instead of avi or whatever else may be currently there. That might do the trick.

Cubase SX3 is great for composing but really has a bad video support...

Ok here is my solution,

Get Quicktime Pro ($29). When you enter your QT-Pro codes, you will be able to export your video files to another format. Now export your Quicktime files as AVI file, you might also want to export audio track as WAV or something. Now import both AVI and WAV file to your project and there you have it.
    I have done this in Cubase 3.11 and now in 4.13 and it works great. Quicktime file in Cubase on a Windows machine did not work well in my experience but that does not mean that there are no ways around it.

Ok - heres more about what I was talking about.

SX3 isnt smart enough to know automatically which format youre wanting to play - you have to tell it in the following way:

Device Setup > Video Player
    Under Playerback Method, select QT from the dropdown box on the right (one of 3 options).

I've had the black/white screen/no playback, when I havent had the right codec selected. Hope thats the problem!

PS: +1 for QT Pro, its good, useful and cheap.

That seems to be a codec problem. As NYC Composer said, try to convert to another codec, or ask the client to send you the video in H263 or Sorenson 3 codec. Those never fail!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Thanks everyone,
    I have done dozens of commercials with my last PC with SX3 and QT pro and never experienced any problems but in the fray of downloading the latest of everything on the new PC, perhaps SX3 doesnt like the latest version of QT. I did indeed end up converting the QT to AVI and then switching the player to Direct Show. First time I had ever done that but it worked great. I'll ask my producer about video in H263 or Sorenson 3 codec and see if that works better. Anyone using C4 any more successfully than SX3 as far as video? Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Anyone using C4 any more successfully than SX3 as far as video? Thanks everyone.
    I experienced more problems with C4 in fact, because I had to disable thumbnails with QT files to not crash. For the rest is the same. BTW, C4 works solid.

I finally got Chaingang to sync video files (QT only). It works great if you have an slave computer.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Go Back to forum