• Register
  • Help

Topic: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, mvts. 3-4a

Share/Bookmark

Post RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, mvts. 3-4a

"I was a little less successful in its third section (Alborada, in B-flat major), where the brasses somewhat drown the melodic designs of the woodwinds; but this is very easy to remedy, if the conductor will pay attention to it and moderate the indications of the shades of force in the brass instruments by replacing the fortissimo by a simple forte." - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

This is the second-to-last installment (I hope )

Third movement + Cadenzas: http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/Chris%...%20iii-iva.mp3

Second movement (updated): http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/Chris%...gnol,%20ii.mp3

First movement (no changes): http://www.suspenlute.com/gpo/Chris%...agnol,%20i.mp3

I modified this slightly after first posting it. It now continues up to the harp cadenza, stopping just before the "Canta Gitano"-proper.

Feedback is welcome as always. I want to keep improving.

As usual this is 100% GPO, all data entered by hand (including the harp glissando, muahahaha)

-Chris P.
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV: Capriccio Espagnole, mvts. 3-4a

I've been following this as you've added movements, and this is really growing on me. You certainly have taken on a project! I have just finished the last installment (third movement) and enjoyed listening to what you have done. The solo instruments sound good here against the larger sections of the orchestra. Best of luck with the remainder of the work! John

Hi Chris,

Just listened to the 3rd this morning, and I am certainly very impressed with what you're doing. You've done a marvelous job in "conducting" your orchestra. All the instruments are rendered with clarity and the perfect amount of presence.

The only suggestion I might make would be to very slightly stagger/vary the brass attacks and velocities a bit. There's somewhat of the "organ effect" happening, especially on the quick triplet figures. (I fight this same thing constantly. )

You obviously have put a tremendous amount of effort into this project, and it is paying off with outstanding results. Congratulations!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by bigears
    I've been following this as you've added movements, and this is really growing on me. You certainly have taken on a project! I have just finished the last installment (third movement) and enjoyed listening to what you have done. The solo instruments sound good here against the larger sections of the orchestra. Best of luck with the remainder of the work! John
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it. One of the reasons I picked GPO over some other orchestral libraries is that (imo) it has the best woodwinds out of any of them, and I think compositions like this really bring that out.

Quote Originally Posted by DDW
    Hi Chris,

Just listened to the 3rd this morning, and I am certainly very impressed with what you're doing. You've done a marvelous job in "conducting" your orchestra. All the instruments are rendered with clarity and the perfect amount of presence.

The only suggestion I might make would be to very slightly stagger/vary the brass attacks and velocities a bit. There's somewhat of the "organ effect" happening, especially on the quick triplet figures. (I fight this same thing constantly. )
    Okay that's on the agenda for the next update. It drives me nuts when real brass players muck up that part so I probably overdid it with the synchronization. There's a *little* variation among the parts there, but not much at all.

Thanks for your words of praise and advice!
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Chris
    It is nice to see that you even followed R-K's notes.

A great piece and a lot of fun to listen to.

Well done

Ron

Just listened to #3, Chris.

Wow, knock-out good work on this, my friend. Parts of this
    would darned near fool me... er, well, some of them did,
    actually... lol!

I'm going to have to stop by for rendering lessons!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum