• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Has anyone tried the Perfect Pitch Ear Training Supercourse CD set?

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone tried the Perfect Pitch Ear Training Supercourse CD set?

It is here: http://www.perfectpitch.com

I'm curious if it delivers on what it promises and if it is worth the price.

Thanks!

Re: Has anyone tried the Perfect Pitch Ear Training Supercourse CD set?

I doubt it. I haven't actually used it, but I did my MA in music psychology, where massive amounts of journal space are devoted to the question of whether it's possible to learn perfect pitch. So far there haven't been any successful attempts brought to the attention of academia; at least not ones that have 'stuck' permanently, in the way it works for those who haven't had to learn it. Given that this course has been around for quite some time now, if it worked I'm sure that music psychologists would be devoting their journal space to the question of why it worked.

EDIT: I noticed that he actually cites two journal articles - ones of which I was unaware. Certainly by the time I was reading in this area (2000-2002) though, his method was no longer mentioned in academic circles, which presumably means the results were actually found to be statistically insignificant.
    David

I've done a lot of reading up on this course (I already have perfect pitch, so I don't need it myself), and it sounds like it takes a very long time and hard work every day to develop what isn't quite perfect pitch, but close.

IMO developing a good sense of relative pitch is better than spending time trying to attain perfect pitch.

I spent several years in college doing ear training while I was getting my composition and theory degree. It improved my ability to recognize melodic and harmonic intervals a lot, but I agree with the statement that perfect pitch and especially absolute pitch, are something that you are born with.

One of my ex-girlfriends is an identical twin. Both her and her sister have absolute pitch. They were both world champion accordion virtuosos when they were kids. When they were about twelve they did the Lawrence Welk show and he offered them a permanent spot but they turned it down. They were kind of wild things, when they were in their mid-teens, they got sent home from Europe because the chaperone's for the Bach Choir couldn't handle them.

But getting back on topic, Margo would turn her back and I would play the weirdest 10 note clusters and chords with both hands on the piano. She would then tell me every note played from the bottom up. She was never wrong. Pretty amazing.

I bought it, tried it, and sent it back. You need to devote a ton of time to the course and it is incredibly dry (boring). Hours of yalking about "not forcing it" and "relaxing" etc. I think I got ot the 2nd or 3rd disc and still didn't know what to do. I thought there would be exercises etc but they must have been in the higher number CD's. All in all I was dissapointed. I know that it takes discipline and patience but in a busy world where I have limited time to compose and rock out I felt I wasn't enjoying it or learning enough to keep going. Keep in mind your mileage will vary. I think you could sit at the piano and play notes over and over again until you start to "hear it" I was allowed to keep the "realtive pitch" bonus CD's but have yet to take a listen.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I purchased this course a while back. There are some decent exercises, but it definitely requires time and patience, and although my ears probably got a little better, all in all i realized somewhere along the way that by far it is more effective to concentrate on relative pitch ear-training, at least IMO.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by karelm View Post

It is here: http://www.perfectpitch.com

I'm curious if it delivers on what it promises and if it is worth the price.

Thanks!
    True perfect pitch is something that cannot be learned and becomes less helpful when playing at rapid tempos. For a musician relative pitch is more important, but interestingly not the type of relative pitch taught by this course and in most schools.

The typical relative pitch training focuses on identifying intervals but when you place notes in the context of moving quickly against a key center, by the time you figure out the interval the music is a few measures ahead of you. Bruce Arnold teaches a form of relative pitch that is more useful: being able to instantly identify the interval of a note played against a key center. It takes time to master this but it is the type of relative pitch that really matters if you are playing with others and improvising. Check out his books and CDs under ear training: “one note” method. It's probably best to start with the most basic EAR TRAINING: ONE NOTE BEGINNING LEVEL and see how it improves your hearing.

http://www.muse-eek.com/books/books.html

John

look into school without wall by Dick Grove, see it hear it play it is a great course to develope your ear

There is merit to this course, but it definitely takes a long time to develop the skills... I bought it once, started to try out the exercises... Definitely, even at the beginning you can tell that there is a slightly different color, for lack of a better word, between the notes... However, to develop this skill, I could see that I would have to devote large quantities of time to develop this... I didn't have this kind of time, so I sent the course back... But if being able to identify pitches out of the blue, as perfect pitch is supposed to do is a major desire for you, and you got plenty of time on your hands, I think this will work...

Just wanted to second Jeff4h's recommendation of the Dick Grove School Without Walls eartraining course, it is awesome, and once you really get into it, you will have the capabilities to train your ear in every piece of music you listen to, and start to see constant improvement. That, to me, is the sign of a really valuable teaching method, one that allows you to teach yourself, and improve, well after you are finished with the actual course. (His other courses, especially the CAP composition and arranging course, are excellent as well, and provide tremendous additional opportunity for training the ear.)
    Sam

Go Back to forum