• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Updates on your long lost moderator-Me!

OT: Updates on your long lost moderator-Me!

Hello, my long-neglected Garritan Gang pals!

After quite a run around just trying to log in this morning (are the security settings even tougher here than they used to be?--I haven't changed anything on my computer)--I'm starting my busy day by passing on some quick updates on my happenings:

--REASON HAS PREVAILED!---Some of you may remember that as the local production of my musical "Dorian-The Remarkable Mister Gray" finished its run last month, I was able to announce that producer Michael Butler and I signed a contract for the show to be developed by him.

Initially Michael wanted to rush into production, getting it up on the boards almost immediately in L.A., in the Hollywood area. And as exciting as that idea was, I expressed concerns about the fast schedule because "Dorian" is not an easy show. It's big and the score is very difficult. The physical production itself calls for very complex and creative costuming, and it calls for quite a set too, with the show's long list of scene locations.

Michael finally took my suggestion, and decided that to do the show justice, his team really did need much more prep time. Thank heavens.

SO there isn't a specific time slot yet for the show, but it could be sometime during 2009. I'll keep you posted!

Meanwhile, having been impressed with the work I did with "Dorian's" GPO-driven sound track, and with a helpful suggestion which our own GARY GARRITAN gave Michael, I've been hired to arrange the music for another one of Michael's properties, a musical based on the legend that a medieval Pope was actually a woman. The show is called "Pope Joan."

AND that means that I've had to get up to speed on Sibelius in a short time, so I can provide the scores needed for that show. Plans are for it to be done with a small band of 6 musicians.

During this last week I've been an active Pest over at the Sibelius bulletin board, seeking help with Sib so I could meet my first deadline of showing Michael a sample orchestration after only a week's work.

I met the deadline - the Sib crew over at their bulletin board have been Very helpful--and now on I go into this work of arranging and producing sheet music for "Joan."

Those of you who know me are probably chuckling---Randy finally gets to really see the challenge people face using a notation program. Oh my - Now that I've delved into it, I have new respect for those of you here who produce such great sounding music using Sib and Finale. It's tough! I'm not even attempting to go that far - I'm working with Sonar still, to do MP3 demos for Michael, and Sib only for producing the PDFs of the scores--there's no way I'm ready to make sound out of Sib actually sound polished--it just Looks polished.

ANd there ya go. That's what I've been up to. - Well, there's been a lot more, all very long days working with Michael on both "Dorian" and now "Joan."

But now I'll be doing a 9 to 5 job working on this score, and my idea is do some Foruming in the mornings, here and at Sib, before firing up the music computer and clocking in more fast paced time on this arranging job.

Hope to be back again soon. I'm thinking I may never have the luxury of all the time I used to spend here, but I'm determined to work in as much time as I can in the early mornings.

Take care all!
    Randy B.

Re: OT: Updates on your long lost moderator-Me!

That's great! You've definitely got plenty going for you.

He's still alive, thank God. Go on, Randy. See you later.

Greetings Randy,

I am very happy for you. Hope I get the chance to see both of these productions one day.

Glad to hear that after all of the advice you have given me on and off of this forum that people on the Sibelius forum are being helpful to you.

Best of luck to you!
    Best Regards,

And we get to say we knew you back when.............

I'm glad things are moving along so well for you, and I'm equally glad that you're using Sib for notation and Sonar for mp3 creation - the uses for which they were intended. As you've found, Sib's forum is quite friendly and helpful which makes it an excellent resource.

Keep up the good work!
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Central Illinois

Hi Randy, Good to see you back on the forum! Sounds like you will be busy for quite awhile yet, it's great to hear of your successes!
    As always, I'm curious whenever I encounter something new, so I did a little searching on Pope Joan and Michael Butler. It was interesting to learn that he is an Illinois native, his family founded the oldest family owned business in Chicago (the J.W. Butler Paper Company), and of his many business, arts and sports activities. He certainly appears to be an interesting fellow! As always, wishing you the very best! John

A lot of work, Randy, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Glad you are into the realm of "notation music." It's tedious,
    but after it is all said and done, it is written in "stone" and
    serves as a model for posterity.

Wishing you all the success you have worked so hard to

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

South of the Ohio River

There was a musician named Randy
    Whose "Dorian" turned out to be dandy!
    'Tho sightings are few
    He's the same that we knew
    And he, one day soon, will again be handy.

You've been missed, lad, but we congratulate your success.
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Hello my friend, good to see you call by. I'm missing having you around here.

Huhhh .. Randy and a notation editor .. I don't believe it rofl.

Hmmm .. Sib eh .. the competition. Take a look at Finale sometime if you get the chance. Before our Sib friends descend on me .. I'm being just a bit light-hearted

Your success is filling your time but what a great way to have your time filled and it couldn't happen to a more deserving person; I'm envious.

Good to see you again Randy and my very best to you.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

There once was a chap named Rbowser
    When I heard all his songs I said "Yowser!"
    This kid will go far,
    Yes he'll soon be a star,
    And adored by more than just his schnauzer.

Go Back to forum